Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media test failure, check cable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daysandghfan

daysandghfan

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

My computer is Toshiba 1805-S204 I have windows XP

The Problem: Last night my computer was working fine....I had updated windows critical updates like I always do periodically. It prompted me to restart my computer. It was late so I hit restart then went to bed. I woke up to find this message:
Intel® Boot Agent Version 4.0.18
Copyright © 1997-2001, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Insert system disk in drive.
Pres any key when ready....

I am assuming it means to insert my boot disk but I haven't tried yet because I am PRAYING there's another way around this problem because I REALLY don't want to lose everything. I have some things on back up but the majority isn't. Please let me know if there is anything else i can try first before wiping out my memory I don't know what caused this but i'm at loss of what to do... I tried calling toshiba, they were useless since my warranty has expired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:23 PM

insert your boot disk and let it do its thing. It will probably repair the corrupted files.

#3 daysandghfan

daysandghfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

will it automatically erase my memory or will it prompt me to do it?....I've never done it before i've just heard your boot disks erase your hard-drive

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

Sounds to me as if it's saying, "I can't find your boot drive. Please check the cable because it may have come loose." This is a hardware problem. It can't boot up because it can't find the drive, not because it can't find the operating system. If you get inside the case, remember to unplug the power and ground yourself to a metal object first to discharge static electricity before touching anything inside.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

will it automatically erase my memory or will it prompt me to do it?....

I've never seen a program that would erase everything without a warning. If you get one you can cancel out. Insert the disk when you get the error and let it run. Read what it tells you carefully if you are asked to ok anything and if you are not sure about something, post back with the exact message you are not sure of and someone will help you understand what is going on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 daysandghfan

daysandghfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

Well I finally gave in and said screw it and decided to just go ahead with the recovery disks and that didn't even work.
First I put in the disk and followed the directions of holding "C" while starting it up. It says "starting windows 95" (which i thought was strange since i have windows xp but anyways...) Then I came to a screen that says "welcome to Toshiba recovery utility This process will restore the original default system on your hard drive Note that the current contents of your hard drive will be erased and replaced by the default system F1=ok f2= cancel I hit F1....Then it goes to a message that says WARNING continuing with the process will erase the current contents of your hard disk drive and replace them with the original default system to proceed press "c" I hit c and basically my computer restarts and the process resumes with the "starting windows 95" etc

I guess my question now is should i just throw my computer against the wall and buy a new one or is there hope??

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:25 AM

Have you followed the above advice and checked the cable?

#8 daysandghfan

daysandghfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

I can not tell you how mad at Toshiba i am right now... after first telling me it's Hard drive issue and that I had to first use my recovery disks and then telling me that my hard drive had to be replace for like $250 I did a random search on the Internet and found this was quite a common problem with rather simple solutions heres the post i read if anyone else should ever have the problem http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3576.shtml
1) Removed the laptop battery for two and a half minutes and replaced it. This was not a satisfactory solution.

2) Pressed "Delete" on boot up to access the laptop's BIOS. The "Boot on LAN" option was in the 5th position after (1) CD-DVD, (2) Removable drive (read: "3 1/2 floppy drive"), (3) Hard drive 1, (4) Hard drive 2. There is no option to disable the "Boot on LAN" in this BIOS. This, needless to say, was not a satisfactory solution either, since the "Boot on LAN" was not before the hard drives in the boot up sequence.

3) Unscrewed the hard drive access panel, removed the laptop's hard drive and reinstalled the hard drive (making sure the drive's metallic pins were inside the female seating).

all it took for me was step 1) remove battery for 2 1/2 minutes. Don't ask me why this worked but my computer seems to work fine with luckily no memory lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users