Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make login and check with user name/pass in MS Access?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 burnface

burnface

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

School project: Create website with ColdFusion and dreamweaver with a login that pulls info from database made in ms access.

After i make the database with the usernames and passwords in it, how do i make the web page actually check with the database and verify that the username and password are correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

What do you have so far?

#3 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

Well i have the login page and everything, but i just can't figure out how to make it check with my access database. I guess i'm not really even sure how to ask for help without uploading the files i have or something..

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

Have you figured out yet that the password checking needs to be done on the servr side, and it is not the HTML that does it? Here is the flow:

1) User goes to the website. Most of the time, registered users have a cookie set on their systems, so the javascript checks for a cookie. If there is a cookie, they are presented with a login form. If not, theyr are presented with a registration form.
2) Assuming for now that you just want to have people log in every time, then the user is presented with a login page.
3) The user fills in their info, hits submit, and the information is sent to the server.
4) On the server, some script gets the information. The script queries the database. If there is a user equal to the user in the form, then it compares the password from the database with the password the user submitted.
5) If the password and username match those found in the database, the user gets to see one page. If they are not the same, the user gets another page.

I don't know anything about ColdFusion, but I don't need to. The process is the same whether one is using .Asp, CGI scripts, Java, or PHP. Your form will call a .cfm file on the server. The .cfm file does the comparison and returns the HTML page.

Does that help at all? I have a post here that explains the process using PHP. It is the same process, just with a different language.

#5 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

As above really only thing i can really add is that i guess you would need to use some sort of ODBC function to connect to access, but this is only a guess i dont have a clue about ColdFusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users