Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm trying out version 9.04 using WUBI installer.
I have more than one computer so this may or may
not be a problem...Sorry, my question is, If I install any
version Ubuntu and give it access to the entire disk, will
it run any faster than having two OS's ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

Ubuntu installed using Wubi will be slower than installing in its own partition. A Wubi installed Ubuntu
will be less stable (mostly from sudden power failure).

Installing Ubuntu in its own partition as a dual boot with a Windows OS would not cause any noticeable
difference in computing speed as opposed to having Ubuntu installed as the only OS. Just the few seconds of
time you use in selecting which OS to boot to.

Copied from Wubi's FAQ:
What is the performance?

The performance is identical to a standard installation, except for hard-disk access which is slightly slower than an installation to a dedicated partition. If your hard disk is very fragmented the performance will degenerate.
Any gotcha?

Hibernation is not supported under Wubi, moreover Wubi filesystem is more vulnerable to hard-reboots (turning off the power) and power outages than a normal filesystem, so try to avoid unplugging the power. An Ubuntu installation to a dedicated partition provides a filesystem that is more robust and can better tolerate such events.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 joe883

joe883
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info Buddy....appreciate it.
I had already used WUBI and now I have
Ubuntu 9.04, WinXP, and Mandriva on the
same computer...Great..If I have problems
as you've said, I'll uninstall from the add/remove
and put it back with a 9.04 CD when they become
available.
Thanks again.

Edited by joe883, 27 April 2009 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users