Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled MB, viruses galore this month

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Oregal

Oregal

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

My Norton AV expired this last month so I installed the free-version of AVAST. Since then, I've had nothing but issues. I've battled Vundo. I believe it was finally off my computer because scans on different days didn't find it. Then, I was attacked by Virut this week. I tried to use my Malwarebytes today and cannot use it. I cannot even download a fresh copy. Also my IE disappeared and I cannot get onto virus sites so is Conflicker at work.

Please, help. I'll be forever indebted :thumbsup:

So, how shall we begin? Keep in mind, I've been trying to redownload MB and it will not let me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hello and welcome.. Let' see what else may be on here.

Next run MBAM:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.36) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Next Run ATF and SAS:
From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post log and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Okay, it was a process today. I was not able to download MB but I did find the original downloaded copy from earlier in the month on my hard drive so we're back in business!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1970
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

4/27/2009 10:40:48 AM
mbam-log-2009-04-27 (10-40-48).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 42322
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 20 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{900a968b-dd7d-4517-a6d9-92607e2e52bb} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{900a968b-dd7d-4517-a6d9-92607e2e52bb} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\letubagede (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nohisoye.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dunumeda.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.KSC\Local Settings\Temp\e.exe (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I am off to run that one program in safe mode. I'll post when it is done

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

OK ,good, yes post that then MBam is a bit old so...
Rerun MBAM like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Tell me how it's doing now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

Okay, the Super Program took forever. Here is what we have here.

Memory items scanned : 539
Memory threats detected : 1
Registry items scanned : 6081
Registry threats detected : 13
File items scanned : 62126
File threats detected : 3

Adware.Vundo/Variant-EC
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FUPIPIVO.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FUPIPIVO.DLL

Adware.Vundo Variant
HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{EC43E3FD-5C60-46a6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4}
HKCR\CLSID\{EC43E3FD-5C60-46A6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4}
HKCR\CLSID\{EC43E3FD-5C60-46A6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{EC43E3FD-5C60-46A6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZOTOKOHU.DLL
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler#{EC43E3FD-5C60-46a6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad#SSODL
HKCR\CLSID\{EC43E3FD-5C60-46A6-97D7-E0B85DBDD6C4}

Adware.Vundo Variant/Rel
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim#SysShell
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa#F
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa#N

Rogue.Component/Trace
HKU\S-1-5-21-2287728443-1832768431-1143145724-1008\Software\Microsoft\FIAS4057

Adware.Vundo/Variant-SR
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JEFIYUNA.DLL

I'll go redo MB

#6 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

Okay, still, when I try to update MB, I am told

"update failed. Make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to access the internet"

I've checked the firewall and nothing is preventing the updates that I can find.

I have also noticed that I cannot see certain antivirus websites. Could I have Conflicker as well?

by the way, I am no longer about to use Internet Explorer only Firefox (maybe not such a bad thing but I would like my IE back as well). I can no longer do a number of normal things with my computer (i.e. download photos, etc...). Something is seriously wrong with my computer.

Edited by Oregal, 28 April 2009 - 08:28 AM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hi, I don't think you do as I believe both those would still have seen it..

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Let's see if we can run SDFix here...
Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

#8 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

okay, I am not able to open the MB site at all. I don't have a flash drive right now. Something is preventing me from opening the virus checker websites. I'm not even able to use the Microsoft Online Scan.

I tried to download the SDFix and was told it has the Win32:JunkPoly [Cryp] virus.

I'm off to do another scan

this is awful.

#9 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Here is the report from SDFIX (still working on updating MB)

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by HP_Administrator on Tue 04/28/2009 at 08:56 AM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\sdfix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\WXSDUG.EXE - Deleted
C:\152667~1 - Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1.KSC\LOCALS~1\Temp\TMP63.tmp - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-04-28 09:25:46
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

detected NTDLL code modification:
ZwOpenFile

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"="c:\windows\system32\zotokohu.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32\fupipivo.dll "
"DeviceNotSelectedTimeout"="15"
"GDIProcessHandleQuota"=dword:00002710
"Spooler"="yes"
"swapdisk"=""
"TransmissionRetryTimeout"="90"
"USERProcessHandleQuota"=dword:00002710
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
"Appixlt_Dlls"="nvrsk"

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqtra08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqste08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe:*:Enabled:hpofxm08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe:*:Enabled:hposfx08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe:*:Enabled:hposid01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe:*:Enabled:hpqscnvw.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe:*:Enabled:hpqkygrp.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe:*:Enabled:hpqcopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe:*:Enabled:hpfccopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe:*:Enabled:hpzwiz01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe:*:Enabled:hpqphunl.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe:*:Enabled:hpqdia.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe:*:Enabled:hpoews01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqnrs08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DISCover.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DISCover.exe:*:Enabled:DISCover Drop & Play System"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DiscStreamHub.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DiscStreamHub.exe:*:Enabled:DISCover Stream Hub"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\myFTP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\myFTP.exe:*:Enabled:DISCover FTP"
"C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe:*:Enabled:Updates from HP"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\OUTLOOK.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\OUTLOOK.EXE:*:Enabled:Microsoft Office Outlook"
"C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\AluSchedulerSvc.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\LiveUpdate\\AluSchedulerSvc.exe:*:Enabled:ALUSchedulerSvc"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\explorer.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\explorer.exe:*:Enabled:Explorer"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\logonui.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\logonui.exe:*:Enabled:logonui"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\1916709504.exe"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\1916709504.exe:*:Enabled:1916709504"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\vvn00.exe"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\vvn00.exe:*:Enabled:vvn00"
"C:\\hp\\KBD\\kbd.exe"="C:\\hp\\KBD\\kbd.exe:*:Enabled:KBD"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\2071709504.exe"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\2071709504.exe:*:Enabled:2071709504"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\2071553254.exe"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\2071553254.exe:*:Enabled:2071553254"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP DigitalMedia Archive\\DMAScheduler.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP DigitalMedia Archive\\DMAScheduler.exe:*:Enabled:DMAScheduler"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\2064990754.exe"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\HP_Administrator.KSC\\Local Settings\\Temp\\2064990754.exe:*:Enabled:2064990754"
"\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe"="\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe:*:enabled:@shell32.dll,-1"
"C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbam.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbam.exe:*:Enabled:Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Updates from HP\\9972322\\Program\\Updates from HP.exe:*:Enabled:Updates from HP"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Fri 2 Jan 2009 211 A.SHR --- "C:\BOOT.BAK"
Fri 27 Feb 2009 636,072 A.SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
Wed 13 Oct 2004 1,714,688 ..SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"
Mon 9 Aug 2004 80,896 ..SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
Wed 29 Aug 2007 3,254 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\SpiralFrog\BIT1CDC.tmp"
Sat 4 Apr 2009 0 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\SpiralFrog\BIT1E1.tmp"
Wed 29 Aug 2007 3,254 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\SpiralFrog\BIT321.tmp"
Sun 22 Mar 2009 0 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\SpiralFrog\BIT387.tmp"
Wed 29 Aug 2007 3,254 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\SpiralFrog\BIT8F2.tmp"
Wed 22 Oct 2008 949,072 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll"
Mon 15 Sep 2008 1,562,960 A.SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 1,429,840 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 4,891,472 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
Tue 16 Sep 2008 1,833,296 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe"
Wed 22 Oct 2008 962,896 A.SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Tools.dll"
Thu 23 Jun 2005 94,208 ..SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"
Sat 18 Apr 2009 108,032 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\gapibapo.dll"
Mon 26 Jan 2009 125,759 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\lahesumo.dll"
Thu 15 Aug 2002 286,720 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 15\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.exe"
Sat 3 Nov 2007 1,679,360 ...H. --- "C:\Program Files\PopCap Games\Insaniquarium Deluxe\popcapgame1.exe"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 200,704 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\ACST4.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 81,920 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\AOLFIREWALLMGR.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 73,728 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\AOLINSTALLERFW.DLL"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 88,064 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90\INSTPH.DLL"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 200,704 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\ACST4.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 81,920 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\AOLFIREWALLMGR.DLL"
Tue 22 Nov 2005 73,728 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\AOLINSTALLERFW.DLL"
Wed 14 Dec 2005 88,064 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Online Services\Aol\United States\AOL90E\INSTPH.DLL"

Finished!

Any thoughts?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

These are nasty stuff. Did you download a crack. I don't care if you did,you can see the problem from it. I was interested in if this the cause. we'll still clean it. Tho we may need to go to HJT.

Can you update MBAM yet and run it ,if not just run it again and psy the log thanks.
:thumbsup: Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can

update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application

Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Also run S!Ri's SmitfraudFix
Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

Edited by boopme, 28 April 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#11 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

No, no crack (not sure what you mean by that). When my Norton expired, I switched to Avast and my problems began. I did download a program called Spiralfrog to get music for an MP player but never used it. Could that program be the problem?

Just tried a bunch of times to update MB, not working

I did order Norton Internet Security from Amazon...should be here today and it is going back onto my computer.

I'll start the SmitFraudFix and have to leave but hopefully that helps. If you have anything else I can do (and, believe me, I'm praying too!), let me know.

By the way, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Oregal, 28 April 2009 - 11:50 AM.

#12 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

here is the smit text:

SmitFraudFix v2.412

Scan done at 9:48:51.85, Tue 04/28/2009
Run from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in normal mode

Process

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ARPWRMSG.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPwuSchd2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix\Policies.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

hosts

C:\

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\system

C:\WINDOWS\Web

C:\WINDOWS\system32

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.KSC

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1.KSC\LOCALS~1\Temp

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator.KSC\Application Data

Start Menu

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1.KSC\FAVORI~1

Desktop

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files\Google\googletoolbar1.dll FOUND !

Corrupted keys

Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

o4Patch
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

o4Patch
Credits: Malware Analysis & Diagnostic
Code: S!Ri

IEDFix

IEDFix

Agent.OMZ.Fix

Agent.OMZ.Fix

VACFix

VACFix

404Fix

404Fix

Sharedtaskscheduler

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

AppInit_DLLs

Winlogon

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

RK

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

DNS

Description: Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DNS Server Search Order: 16.92.3.242
DNS Server Search Order: 16.92.3.243
DNS Server Search Order: 16.81.3.243
DNS Server Search Order: 16.118.3.243

Description: Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DNS Server Search Order: 192.168.100.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{892900FC-9814-4488-99C0-81491C1EE93D}: DhcpNameServer=16.92.3.242 16.92.3.243 16.81.3.243 16.118.3.243
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{90371F66-9760-4C9A-9D3F-56C70F4AB891}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.100.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{892900FC-9814-4488-99C0-81491C1EE93D}: DhcpNameServer=16.92.3.242 16.92.3.243 16.81.3.243 16.118.3.243
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{90371F66-9760-4C9A-9D3F-56C70F4AB891}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.100.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{892900FC-9814-4488-99C0-81491C1EE93D}: DhcpNameServer=16.92.3.242 16.92.3.243 16.81.3.243 16.118.3.243
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{90371F66-9760-4C9A-9D3F-56C70F4AB891}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.100.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.100.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.100.1
HKLM\SYSTEM\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.100.1

Scanning for wininet.dll infection

End

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hi Oregal, you have a polymorhic virus. This leaves us 2 options . One we post a log for our HJT team to look at or else you will need to format and reinstall the operating system.
I am going to post this information first. Then tell me how you want to proced.
Your System is infected with Virut!!
Virut is a file infecting virus which is able to modify itself each and every time it runs. In addition, when it infects, sometimes it will destroy the file it tries to latch onto.
For these reasons, you really can't truly fix Virut. You will need to format/reinstall the operating system on this machine.

More information:
http://free.avg.com/66558

There are bugs in the viral code. When the virus produces infected files, it also creates non-functional files that also contain the virus.

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProf...aspx?key=143034

W32/Virut.h is a polymorphic, entry point obscuring (EPO) file infector with IRC bot functionality. It can accept commands to download other malware on the compromised machine.
It appends to the end of the last section of executable (PE) files an encrypted copy of its code. The decryptor is polymorphic and can be located either:
Immediately before the encrypted code at the end of the last section
At the end of the code section of the infected host in 'slack-space' (assuming there is any)
At the original entry point of the host (overwriting the original host code)

Miekiemoes, one of our team members here and an MS-MVP, additionally has a blog post about Virut.

#14 Oregal

Oregal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Okay, back home. This does not sound good. I don't understand why Avast let this slip through. I don't go to 'bad' sites. I tend to frequent news sites and medical research sites.

Okay, now, a few questions...

I have a lot of photos I want to save. Other than that, I can live without much of this computer. I have a portable hard drive. If I save the photos to that hard drive, will the virus tag along?

Second, is there anything that can be done to save the computer without reformatting? If so, I'll do whatever I can on this end.

Third, how did I pick up this virus if I have a viruschecker (even if it is a free one).

I just got Norton AntiVirus from Amazon, will that help at all??

Thanks again.

edited to add: reading those links which may contain some of my answers.

reading some more: if I understand correctly, I do run a fairly busy medically-related website. I should not do any work on the site from this computer right now, correct?

edited again to add: just took off avast and added Norton. Norton immediately started popping up with viruses and spyware. When I turned back on the internet, it started saying it was scanning a whole bunch of viagra messages that I was sending???? So, obviously somebody is using my computer. Now, I'm on my laptop and have a question. I use Gmail...is Gmail sending out this spam or what is happening?

Edited by Oregal, 28 April 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Most likely from a Web page infection.... from Miekiemoes blog content.

Among the new features is the ability to infect Web pages on the local machine. Whenever the file infector has an access to a file on the hard drive, it checks whether the files is EXE, SCR, HTM, PHP, or ASP, and then acts accordingly. For the PE files, the code discussed above is used for the infection. For HTML pages, the virus actually injects an iframe at the very end of the page:

Virut is a Polymorphic File Infector that infects .EXE and .SCR files. It opens a Backdoor by connecting to a predefined IRC Server and waits for commands from the remote attacker - for example to download/run more malware on the compromised computer. Emails may be harvested as well.
This latest variant may also search for htm, html, asp and php files on the drives and modifies them by inserting an iframe that points to a malicious website. So you can already imagine what may happen if the owner is a webdesigner and uploads the infected webpages.
An excellent write up on this latest variant (and previous one) can also be found here (by Nicolas Brulez): http://securitylabs.websense.com/content/Blogs/3300.aspx

Disinfection of the infected webpages should be easy - it's just a matter of deleting the iframe script in it.
The disinfection of the infected exe and scr files is something else...
Since Virut infects legitimate files, the files may not be deleted, but disinfected instead. And that's where the problems start...
Virut was known to be a buggy Virus in the past and it appears that this hasn't changed yet. We've seen this with other File infectors as well: To Junk Or Not To Junk.

And because of that, Virut may misinfect a proportion of executable files > result > corrupted file.
The same applies for other File infectors such as Sality.

If I guide someone with Virut (or any other File Infector) present and their Antivirus cannot properly disinfect it, then I recommend a format and reinstall.

Reformatting
Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.
==============================
2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users