Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from XP CD...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rbwallis

rbwallis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hello all, first post. I have just recovered from a messy number of viruses, and Avast put many of my System32 files in the chest (which, I suppose, means it's working).

Anyway, since I need these files for my computer to work properly, I tried to do a rebuild and boot from my Windows XP CD. Now, when I put the CD in while the computer is running, the menu comes up that says, "What would you like to do?". So I know the CD is not corrupt.

However, when I shutdown and try to boot from the CD, all I get is a black screen. I think the BIOS is set properly because I used a BART PE CD to fix some registry entries that got changed.

So 3 questions:

1) I currently have the computer connected thru an HDMI to my monitor. Could that be the reason for the black screen?

2) Would it be possible to copy (or expand) these files from the i386 folder on my hard drive to System32?

3) Any other options?

Thanks, Rob

System: HP Pavilion, XP SP1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

1) I currently have the computer connected thru an HDMI to my monitor. Could that be the reason for the black screen?

Possibly. You said that you could boot from the BartPE disk you made, so it may be that the Windows setup utility won't work with an HDMI video connection. If you have a VGA port and monitor handy, give them a try.

2) Would it be possible to copy (or expand) these files from the i386 folder on my hard drive to System32?

Yes. Once you get the setup disk to boot properly, you can use the Recovery Console to copy the compressed originals onto the hard drive. The command to use is expand and it's used like this:

expand d:\i386\acces.cp_ c:\Windows\system32\access.cpl

That is expand <source File on CD> <destination file on the hard drive>

Note that the original file on the CD is compressed and thus has an underscore (_) replacing the last letter of the file extension. You need to change that as shown in the example when providing the location to copy to.

Also, if the file you need is stored in a Cabinet (.cab) file (like in drivers.cab) you can use expand to extract it and copy it like so:

expand d:\i386\driver.cab /f:msgame.sys c:\Windows\system\drivers

That is: expand [/b]<source cabinet> [b]/f:<actual file name> <destination on the hard drive>

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 27 April 2009 - 05:00 PM.
Spleling - d'oh!

#3 rbwallis

rbwallis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, Andrew. You are amazing! :thumbsup:

My monitor has both inputs, so I will try this with my VGA cable and see if that works.

Just curious, if the computer boots OK from the HD, what is the difference between using the recovery console and just using the "run" command to expand the files?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Just curious, if the computer boots OK from the HD, what is the difference between using the recovery console and just using the "run" command to expand the files?

No difference, as far as I know. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users