Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer to TV?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 burnface

burnface

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Is there a good way for me to hook my computer up to my tv and use it like a monitor or to watch movies? Its a little older tv, so all it has is like...RCA inputs for audio/video, and it also has S-video. I've heard that both of those ways make pretty crappy quality though?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

ye I do this to, it is possible, although my TV is rather new. I used, for the video, one VGA cable
that looks like this:
Posted Image

For the audio i use 1 double-jack cable which looks like this:
Posted Image

Unfortunately, i see those inputs are not in your TV. I've heard that is possible to use a VGA to SCART cable that looks liek this:
Posted Image

The vga will go into your PC (it is possible you'll have to take out your monitior-cable) and the SCART will go into your TV (it is also likely that your tv only has 1 scart input, which you will have to use. Note that i dont have experience with the scart cable.
It may depend on your TV to, therefore you should take a look in your TV-info (when you bought your TV).

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#3 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

My tv actually doesn't even have a scart input :thumbsup:

the only other thing i could think of is using a VGA to RCA cable, but again, i heard that makes it look really crappy..

#4 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

eh u DONT have a scart cable? Hm i bet your TV wont have the right statistics for using this anyway. I mean when it doesnt even have a Scart cable, it must be pretty old.

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#5 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Yeahhh well its not SO old, but it was like a hotel one, so it doesn't have any of that fancy stuff. Seems like the best plan is to get a projector or something? haha

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

S-video and A/V cables require a little fine tuning but you can get the picture to come out at SD quality.Remember the aspect ratio of a normal TV is 4:3

Posted Image

#7 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

By "fine tuning" what do you mean exactly? Like screw around with the res on my computer so that its gonna look right on a 4:3 tv?

#8 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

Seems like the best plan is to get a projector or something? haha

hehe no any "rather" new TV will do, mines about 1year old now, just make sure it has VGA input and your fine ;). Though if u get a new one,and a rather new pc, it is possible to use HDMI cable wich probably give way better quality, i guess this will be just plug and play, but i dont have any experience with this.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

What kind of Video card do you have in your computer?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

not totally sure actually...where do i find the specs for that? I have a dell latitude d830 if that tells you anything? otherwise where do i look for that?

#11 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

Simply download & install Everest home edition To find out what exact hardware you have in your PC

Edited by Stofzuiger, 29 April 2009 - 04:15 AM.

#12 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

i used to use an S-video out from my computer to a scrat into my old TV, im gussing you could do the same but just s-video to s-video if your graphics card has S-video?. Like you say its not going to be the best but your not going to be able to much with your TV being so old. Maybe time for a new one ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users