Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renaming Pages in MS FrontPage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 suttles95

suttles95

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:24 AM

I need help...

When I set-up my webpage, although I titled the pages appropriately on the Navigation Bar, their page names (which is the one shown as the webpage title in the IE address bar) remains generic. Here's an example:

I clicked on "Properties" for my "Worship Services" page, and it lists "Worship Services" as the title but "new_page_1.htm" as the filename.

When I try to rename the file in the folder list, it gives me a message saying that doing so will cause the page to become unusable. And when I try to change the name from "new_page_1.htm" to "Worship Services," the icon changes and I'm pretty sure that I can't link to it from any other pages.

How do I successfully change a filename and not lose its linkability from other pages in the web?

--Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:35 PM

The title can be whatever you want, so if you go into the page properties and change the title (what appears in the title bar of IE) it wont affect anything else.

When you change the name of a file, it must always end in .htm or .html. If it does not it wont be recognized as an html web page and will not open.

#3 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:08 PM

hi suttles95,
I use Frontpage on a daily basis, if you want to change the title of your page (the bit that shows up on the browser's title bar), then do as Grinler suggested. If you want to change the name of the page, new_page_1.htm to Worship_Services.htm, Then first make sure you have the left hand folder pane visible, to do this click view, then click "folder list" or use the short cut keys ALT+F1. Now find the file you want to change and right click it and choose "rename" and enter the page's new name (remember to give it a .htm extension/ or .html will do fine) .
If you are editing an existing website and the page you are renaming is linked within other pages of your website, then a handy hint is to open all your webpages in the editing window, then rename the webpage, this will automatically update all the internal links to that page and will save you the hassle of having to go through them all and replace the hyperlinks manually,

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions about FrontPage, please don't hesitate to ask,

Chief.

P.S. i'm running FrontPage 2003 so it may be different to yours if you have an earlier version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users