Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer/router bottleneck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CannonVol

CannonVol

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

I have been having a problem on one of three computers on my network. On this computer several websites are either very slow to load or simply won't load at all. This happens no matter what browser I use. I have gone through the process to determine if this computer was infected with some form of virus, trojan, etc and it checked out clean.

I have recently switched to a wired/wireless system, but the problem existed on my old wired network, as well. After going through the malware/spyware search I reformatted my principal drive and re-installed the operating system. I checked immediately after installing the OS just to see if perhaps I was having some kind of software conflict, but the problem did not get any better with the re-install. I have been adding my programs back gradually as needed.

In attempting to ascertain the source of the problem, I removed the router connection from the computer and hooked directly through the modem. Presto, problem solved! Except I can't have the network offline just so I can reach a few websites on one computer.

It appears to me that there is some sort of bottleneck between the computer and the router. I just am unable to determine where the problem lies.

I have a DIY computer with an ECS A770M-A MB, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ with 3GB RAM. The current router is a Belkin Wireless N model no. F5D8236-4. The previous router was a D-Link Dl 604. The modem is a fairly old Westell Wirespeed DSL model# 890-220030-04. I am currently running Windows XP SP2 because I have been unable to access the Windows Update site to download any updates.

I have tried accessing these sites with and without a firewall engaged and I have removed/disabled every add-on on my browsers, all without any effect. The sites themselves don't seem to have a lot in common. I am unable to access Hotmail or the windows update site, I have problems with espn and cannot reach the download page to obtain firmware for a Samsung product (non computer related). Additionally, I am unable to post to this site using the affected computer. I can access the site easily. Can read and even prepare a post, but when it comes to actually posting the information, it weill not upload from the affected computer.

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

I would get a new network card and see if that clears it up. You can get a nice inexpensive one for about $10-20, either at New Egg or even (ugh) Wal-mart.

DR

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

When I first setup my new router I could not get several sites on one of the hard wired computers, what I found was that the security settings had to be fiddled with. I got tips on what to do up on the Linksys info site, I also had to change a few settings in my AV program. Belkin must have a forum to give you some help.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 CannonVol

CannonVol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the responses. I found out this morning that I was having a minor problem with my ISP and was able to resolve the problem. I guess there is something to be said for looking at the simplest solutions first!

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users