Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pimp my Ride!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgdaddy55

bgdaddy55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Hey Guys,
I am looking to upgrade my current computer. Since it is running Windows XP and all new ones come with Windows Vista (puke), I really want to make this one work. I have been running Windows Vista on my laptop and I'm not happy with it. However, this desktop has been running really slow lately, taking 10-20 second breaks, and revving like it was racing Vin Diesel in the next The Fast and Furious movie, usually while in Mozilla Firefox or when AVG 8.5 Scans.

Point of note: This computer crashed about 3 years back, so I bought a 1 GB Hard drive, where it normally had a less than half of that. During the recovery process, the guy loaded his Windows XP version onto my computer, because he couldn't figure out how to make my Compaq recovery disks work (those are long gone). I do have a 250 GB External Hard drive.

Here's my specs. Give me some advice.

Compaq Presario 5000

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60 GHz, 1.59 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

Standard Disk Drive with drivers intstalled.
Compaq DVD rom GDR8160B -does not play DVD's since crash and restore, but does play CD's and burns CD's

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 (I have a NVIDIA GeForce 4 4600 that I never installed. I had to buy a new fan, and I'm not 100% on how to install. Do I glue it? If so, what kind of glue? )

Intel 82801BA Bus Master IDE Cotnroller
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

PCTEL Platinum V.90 Modem

1394 Net Adapter
Intel PRO/100 VM Network Connection

COM 1
COM 2
LPT 1

Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice. I am really new at this stuff, but I figure I can learn, so there you are. What I am looking for is both a list of recommend parts and maybe some links to tutorials on how to implement those new parts. Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Well, you're not going to be able to upgrade that dinosaur. It's just way too slow, you may be able to salvage the optical drive though if it could read DVD's. My suggestion is to budget $600 to $750 and build yourself a great new PC. BTW, you're going to have to get used to Vista or Windows 7 especially if you build or buy a new PC, more so if you have to go 64-bit.

3939.png

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Or try Linux.
Ubuntu is pretty decent & free.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Steeldogs

Steeldogs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

DJBPace07 is correct in stating it's a dinosaur and you would do better building a new system. If you purchase a new complete system more than likely you won't be given the choice of having XP installed. But...you can still purchase XP SP3 through online vendors like NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116515
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President

-----

ASUS Rampage Formula, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, Dual Seagate 1.5TB, XFX HD-487A-ZDDC Radeon 1GB 256-bit GDDR5, ASUS 22X DVD Burner SATA, HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit, G.SKILL 4GB PC2 6400, Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W PSU

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

For those of you that have not discovered these guys take a look! They will build you most anything for reasonable $$$~!

http://www.ecollegepc.com/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

They don't exactly have a large selection...

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users