Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Sharing b/w XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

I was helping a friend Share their printer, but it it just wasn't working and I can't figure out why. The main PC with the printer attached was running XP and was trying to share with was running Vista. I read lots of articles to try and figure it out, but everything I tried was not working. I shared the printer and gave it a name of Deskjet. The Computer name was Bill. What is the network path is that the same as the computer name or \\Bill\Deskjet?

What kind of things could have prevented this from working. It kept saying access denied. The XP PC has a password and user name which is different from the Vista PC. The windows firewall is turned off in the XP computer. I gave the Vista PC the same workgroup name as the XP (MSHOME). I could see the Computer name of BILL, but it wasn't allowing me to have access. Is it possible to just share the printer without file sharing. What exactly is shared Docs with the aol folder's in it. Appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users