Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Services won't start, Problems with Several Windows Functions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mayan2k

mayan2k

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

If I could get some help on this I'd be much obliged - my computer is acting up pretty weirdly.

The first thing that I noticed was wrong is that my internet connection wasn't working correctly - the icon in the system tray would show that I was connected to the internet, but if I opened a browser I'd get nothing. I started looking into a few things and noticed that the Windows Firewall / ICS service wasn't started. When I tried to start that, it told me it couldn't locate the files (Error 2) to do so. I googled fixes for that, came upon System File Checker and Error Checking in windows. The former asks me for a Windows XP Disk, but doesn't accept it when I use one, and the latter simply tells me that "Windows cannot complete the system check". I unfortunately don't have any usable system restore points. When I start windows, I immediately get a popup saying "The webpage you requested is not available offline. Would you like to connect?" I also get error messages for Symantec and Google Desktop as soon as Windows loads.

Can someone tell me what is going on here? None of this was happening just a few days ago. I've run several antivirus programs, there's nothing infecting my drives. I could really use some help here, thanks.

~ Mayank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

<<The former asks me for a Windows XP Disk, but doesn't accept it when I use one, and the latter simply tells me that "Windows cannot complete the system check".>>

It's asking for a MS XP install CD...and it must reflect the same SP-level that is on the system, it will not run if the CD reflects an earlier level.

Example: I have SP3 installed on both my desktops...to run SFC, I must use a CD that includes SP3 in the XP install package. I accomplish this by slipstreaming/updating my original XP CD, using nLite.

BC has a guide you may be interested in, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

<<...I immediately get a popup saying "The webpage you requested is not available offline. Would you like to connect?">>

IMO, this is routine...it happens to me on occasion. Overcome by hitting the button to try again, IME.

As for Symantec and Google Desktop...perhaps those are damaged and need to be uninstalled/reinstalled...hard to be definitive without the error messages being known.

IMO, none of these sound like malware issues.

Louis

#3 mayan2k

mayan2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'll try to slipstream my CD then.

Quick question though, any advice on resolving the Windows Firewall/ICS issue? I've tried reinstalling ipnathlp.dll and ipnat.sys from the XP CD, and that hasn't kept Error 2 from occurring anytime I try to start that service.

<<...I immediately get a popup saying "The webpage you requested is not available offline. Would you like to connect?">>

IMO, this is routine...it happens to me on occasion. Overcome by hitting the button to try again, IME.

The reason I'm concerned about this is that there is no webpage I'm trying to pull up - it happens automatically. And when I do hit try again, the result is still a nonworking internet connection.

Thanks for your help,
Mayank

#4 mayan2k

mayan2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

Oh last thing - anytime I try to turn off or restart my computer, it tells me that rundll32.exe is not responding, and asks whether I want to wait or simply end it. I have no idea what all of this means - but my internet won't work, and I feel like the last time i tried to clean my computer of some malware I may have screwed something up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mayank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users