Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to check the performance of OS or videocard.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BennyHiiiin

BennyHiiiin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

when i play online games and off line games. my computer started to experience "half second lag/pause every 15 seconds".
its noticeable and its very annoying.

its started when i played need for speed undercover which i don't meet its system requirements.

need for speed undercover system req:

cpu running at 2.8 GHZ
1 GB ram

my computer specs:

processor 1.8 GHZ
my computer's available RAM - 650 MB

when i close the game my speaker makes this *brrrrrr* sound and my CPU started to beeeeeep. after that i started to experience this half second lag/pause in every 15 seconds when i play offline/online games.

do you how to check these problems?. what part of my pc should i check like the operating system, video card etc. if they working properly.

Edited by BennyHiiiin, 27 April 2009 - 10:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

If you don't meet the system requirements for the game...I guess that I don't understand what you are asking.

FWIW: I am not a gamer.

Louis

#3 BennyHiiiin

BennyHiiiin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

you should meet the system requirements of that game in able for you to run the game smoothly (without lags) and without problems.

in my case. i still run it even if i dont meet that game requirements. i enable it to play but my computer works harder. maybe thats why when i closed the game, my pc beeps and produce this unusual sound.

in a pc game. it doesn't mean if you dont reach its system req. you can't play the game. if you manage to run it. expect that your computer will work more, and laggy.

edited--

as a consequence of playing that game. when i play any offline or online games i started to experience lag/pauses which i dont experience before. thats why i need to check my computer if there's something wrong. i don't know what should i check. like maybe the operating system , video card etc. i want to know if they working properly.

Edited by BennyHiiiin, 27 April 2009 - 12:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

Generally speaking...the absence of errors indicates that the system is working as it should.

I cannot speak to gaming situations...I don't game at all.

If I wanted to check the video function, I would run the dxdiagnostic, I suppose. I might also just uninstall the drivers and install current or updated drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190900

"Lag" is a very inexact, subjective term, IMO.

As for the O/S, you can check Event Viewer for possible errors...and run chkdsk /r and then defrag. You could also run sfc /scannow to ensure that no system files are missing/damaged.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

LouisLouis

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

Can you provide a bit more information on your system specs? What kind of graphics card is it, what is the model of the processor, how much total system ram do you have? Is it custom built or from a manufacture? Are you running XP or Vista?

650mb of available ram seems low (I assume this is when the game isn't opened?). That can lead to jittery gameplay.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 BennyHiiiin

BennyHiiiin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

to hamluis:

thanks hamluis for your help. i saved all of that. :thumbsup:

to Sterling:

graphic card: ATI radeon x1300/x1500 series 512mb
processor: AMD AThlon ™ 64 processor 3000+ MMX,3dnow,1.8GHZ
RAM: 1GB, available RAM 640MB free.

anway. i used the tune up utilities registry cleaner. and i think it went fine (i know it risky to do this ^_^).

thanks again guys for your help ^_^

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Your system is not off to snuff to play that game.

First off, your graphics card is dated and even during it's time it wasn't a high-end card. It may say you meet graphics requirements because it is a 512mb card, but many modern cards that are 512mb or less will perform better.

You may be able to run the game alright with a dual-core processor that is less than 2.8ghz, but a single-core processor at 1.8ghz on a game that requires 2.8ghz is not going to play well.

1gb of ram would probably be enough, but 2gb or more would give best performance.

You're looking at a lot of upgrades if you want to be able to run newer games such as Need For Speed Undercover. To upgrade the processor and graphics card, you'll probably need a new motherboard too, and maybe a new power supply. You're better off buying/building a new computer.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

your computers 2 slow to run that game, and thats that. You want it to run right, do some upgrading. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users