Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo +others on Windows XP Home ed.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 teroblacknight

teroblacknight

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:07 AM

Alright...so I'm very nervous as to the condition of my computer and how to get her back up to health. I'm sorry for not including a log...I'm writing this post on another laptop because I have no internet access anymore on my sicky. Let me give you as much as I can regardless...oh, by the way I'm running an HP dv4000 laptop.

So as it stands right now, my computer starts up just fine, and allows me to sign on, but my desktop and taskbar never appear. I can access programs through running them on the task manager, but otherwise I can't access my programs. My internet isn't working, and when I plug in a usb device it isn't recognized. Therefore, I'm not sure how I could get a dds log loaded up.

This is what happened to cause me to get to that point. Out of nowhere I started getting a load of IE based ad pop-ups and the standard anti-virus warnings. I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it detected about a dozen Vundo infections. After a restart, I still had the same problems and so I reran Anti-Malware and still had Vundo plus a small slew of other .trojans, whose names are currently escaping me. I repeated this process 2 or 3 more times, deleting the quarantine and restarting each time, never escaping the IE ads. Somehow I ended up here, without any programs beginning at start up. The ads are gone, but so is my internet and everything else. I should also note that for some reason the tap function of my laptop mouse has started working again, perhaps going back to default because I've had it turned off.

So can you guys help me? Thanks,

-Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

When you start your computer and open Task Manager, what processes show in the Applications window?

Please download and run Process Explorer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Under file and save as, create a log and post here

copy and paste into a reply, along with a updated full scan with mbam

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users