Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

I have an older computer that I have been using as a digital picture frame. One day when I tried to start it up, it only went as far as the Windows XP splash screen, where you would normally see the login icons, except that there are no icons. As I only have one user on this computer, it would normally login automatically, but now it just sits at the login screen doing nothing. Could this be an issue with the boot.ini file that got randomly corrupted? The CD drive has long since failed to work, so I am not sure how I would go about repairing the boot file if it is indeed causing the problem.
"Testing leads to failure, and failure leads to understanding."
Burt Rutan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

If it was a boot.ini problem, I would believe it would just remain a black screen or a continuous loop
You're getting as far as the logon screen
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294427

t is extremely annoying to get stuck at the welcome screen of windows Xp. One of our readers submitted such problem, that Windows Xp hangs at welcome screen. This happens mainly due to some problem with one of the system files of windows Xp. The file is MUP.sys.

What is MUP.sys?

The process Multiple UNC(Uniform Naming Convention) Provider driver belongs to the software Microsoft® Windows® Operating System by Microsoft Corporation. This is Microsoft system file which is needed at the time of startup.

Why computer hangs at welcome screen?

When there is something wrong with the MUP.sys the computer hangs at welcome screen. Which maybe due to a hardware problem or a driver problem or may also be due to a virus has corrupted MUP.sys .

troublefixers.com

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

I see, that makes sense, because I have this computer automatically hibernate at a set time. Ill try the microsoft fix and see if that works. How would I fix the MUP system file if it doesn't?
Burt Rutan

#4 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

I tried following the Microsoft explanation, but it didn't work. I don't even know if I can restart my computer with the F8 key. I can also move the mouse and everything, so it doesn't exactly fit the description. I didn't get the error message the help topic mentioned. I think this has happened in the past, but I always assumed it wast data corruption and reinstalled the OS. I have no idea as to what it really is.

I might add that to get out of the problem, I have been forcing the computer to shut down by holding down the power button. I'm not sure if that will actually shut it down, or if its still accessing the same corrupted memory from hibernate.
Burt Rutan

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Another thing to consider is a corrupt video driver plays havoc with hibernate/standby
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 SpaceShipOne

SpaceShipOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

But then wouldn't my screen be messed up? Right now it looks normal.
Burt Rutan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users