Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound and no volume control?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hadenough

hadenough

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

I hope someone can help.
I bought this computer from a friend(win 98)
since hooking it up I have not been able to get the sound to work.
I looked over the topics here but wasn't sure about the fix's for mine.btw its a gateway they had sound before but for some reason I can't get to work(no go back or restore disc was with it)
The prob- no sound not even a volume control I tried the ..start-pro-assc-ent-volume control but nothing happenings when I click on it.
I've went to multmedia but where the box drop down has a place to show volume on desktop you can't click it(it's there but shaded)
I even tried the Run- sndvol32.exe,and a couple of others and it doesn't do anything.
This is driving me crazy not to mention the time I've wasted trying to figure it out.
anyone???????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Did you go into control panel and click on sounds.

If not go to control panel click on sounds, and see if there is a window, if there is see if it has no sound, if it does not then follow the link and click that should do it.

If not go to www.microsoft.com downloads look for 98, let it do a scan and it might find the missing file.

there is another way take side panel off your tower and you will see white oblong on your motherboard, you might find that you will have to install another sound card, this should come with a disk.

I had the same trouble and that is what i did and it worked, or ask your person you got it from what they did. also reading throuth again the shaded area means not all files where installed.

Let us no how you get on.

Edited by thedon57, 21 June 2005 - 04:20 PM.

Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 hadenough

hadenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

Well when I go to control panel then sounds it does show little speakers for different sounds none are chosen, but when I click on any of them they don't highlight the apply button????
also I'm a little confused the mulimedia prop are the same way.
but one thing I went to said audio active while something else said missing driver.
I'm sorry I don't remember what I went to to get this info but I can look around and find it again if this would be helpful.
As for the driver I don't know what to do about that. the window98 update thing said everything is up to date
I think I'm gonna go nuts trying to fix this :thumbsup: I really hope it's something I can fix without opening up the modem.I'm a little scared about poking around under there :flowers:
And Thanks for the help so far.

#4 hadenough

hadenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:17 AM

Well I'm still tring to figure it out.
any other things I could try? :thumbsup:

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:01 AM

You need to look in the Device Manager (Control Panel>System)and check if:

1. Does anything have a red cross or yellow exclamation mark by it? If so what?

2. Do you have a sound device listed under your 'Sound, video and game controllers'?

3. Do you have anything listed under 'Other devices'? If so what?

Do you know what kind of sound card should be in your system? Is it onboard, or a plug-in card? What is the exact model number of your Gateway PC?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 hadenough

hadenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:30 PM

ok yes there is a yellow(?) on other devices,then when I click on that theres a yellow(?) on multimedia and it says Driver for this device is not installed(code 28) To reinstall the device for this driver,click reinstall.
when I click the reinstall it searches finds one then says
The publisher cannot determined due to problem below
The objecy verified is unknow to the trust provider.
when I click it to install anyway it says
Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

Under games and cont it has..
wave device for voice modem
device-game video game cont
manufacturer-U.S robitics inc.
hardware version-Not available
device statis
working properly

other devices-listed above

I don't know what soundcard the system has(sorry)
my model# is 0016506395

Thank you soo much for taking the time to help with this :thumbsup:

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

Ok, that's your problem. Windows is not recognising your sound card and cannot find a driver for it - so its parked it in 'Other devices'. So we need to identify your sound card and then track down a driver for it frm the internet. You said it is a Gateway PC - I'm not familiar with those PC's but that number you quoted looks more like a serial number than a model number.

There are free programs which help identify the components of your PC:
Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download

Run Everest then look under 'motherboard chipset', and 'multimedia' and anywhere else you see related to sound. My guess is your sound would be onboard (part of the motherboard) so look for something associated with AC'97. Everest sometimes gives you links to a driver update site - see what it says about the motherboard.

EDIT - you may not need to bother with that, check the Gateway site -
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp
- there is an automated driver update button 'Gateway Update' that looks like it should do the trick. Or if you type in your serial number and select your operating system it will take you to a page with a bunch of sound drivers available.
It looks like my guess was wrong as another Gateway page shows your PC original configuration which includes:

Sound Blaster Live! Value Sound Card [Part #6001128]

That should narrow it down!
Let us know how you go.

Edited by Rimmer, 23 June 2005 - 09:50 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 hadenough

hadenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

I also copied this from my info from gateway

SYSTEM: IRQ Holder for PCI Steering ( 4-23-1999) *** PROBLEM CODE 22 ***
UNKNOWN: PCI Multimedia Audio Device () *** PROBLEM CODE 28 ***
USB: Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller ( 4-23-1999)

It had a list of other things, I could paste the whole thing if you need it.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:50 AM

That looks like most of your motherboard drivers are not installed, not just your sound card. All the more reason to go to the Gateway site and use their Updater.

#10 hadenough

hadenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:56 PM

Ok thought I had it but....
I went to the link clicked on the downloader and yes it said I was missing drivers so I downloaded them (it installs them for you pretty cool)had to re start the computer, It even said new hardware found, looked like it was going to work then got this window that poped up.click to reinstall drivers which I did..but it said
System unknown!

I went ahead and downloaded the everest tool
it says for audio
Creative SB live! value (CT4670)sound card

Do you think someone that had the computer before me changed soundcards and thats why gateways driver didn't work???

I think I'm going :thumbsup:

Thanks again for any help

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:20 PM

I think that's the original sound card - CT4670 is Creative's part number as opposed to the Gateway part number.

Do you recall what new drivers were downloaded or what new hardware it found? Reloading is often required after each download. I don't understand what the error messages meant.

So, do it manually - go to this link:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...60&uid=90575977

- make a new folder on your hard drive called 'SOUND' or something like that, download the exe file into it and when the download is finished double click the exe file. It will do one of two things -

1. It will install the driver for your sound card, then you reboot and you're done.

2. It will unpack itself into a group of files in the 'Sound' folder. Then you have to go to the Device Manager, find the multimedia (?) device under 'Other' and remove it, then reboot. When Windows reboots it will find a new multimedia device, when it offers to search for the driver direct it to the 'Sound' folder and it should install.

... with a bit of luck. :thumbsup:

#12 hadenough

hadenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

:thumbsup: I got it!!
Thanks so much for your help.
At first I couldn't get it to complete the install but after I found the Disk for the hardware it worked.
The only thing is although I have the volume levels All the way up it's not very loud but I leaving well enough alone(for now) lol
Thanks again :flowers:

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:32 AM

That's good news! :thumbsup:

Do you have powered (amplified) speakers? Modern sound cards don't have any form of amplifier in them and if you are using older "computer speakers" you will hardly get any volume at all. If you just want basic sound just buy a set of powered speakers from the nearest computer goods store - they will probably cost you ~$10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users