Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer help needed!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morganza

morganza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

Several weeks ago my pc was hijacked by "System Security" which took over and popped up a message every two minutes. I downloaded "Spybot Search & Destroy" and "Clean Registry for free". I also reset my computer to an earlier date. This seemed to help, but then my "windows" was malfunctioning so I reinstalled it. So now I'm up to turning the computer back on. Wouldn't you know it? My printer does not seem to be talking to my pc. The printer icon in the bottom tray has an exclamation point above it. I also got the message "print spooler system not working". I asked an IT guy at work and he told me how to turn on my spooler and go to the printer file in printers and faxes to make sure the printer was on line. I did all this. My spooler system is now started, the printer keeps slipping back to offline and I have no idea what to do now! Oh, I unplugged my printer from the power strip and plugged it directly into a wall socket, changed the port to lpt2 and restarted my computer about a jillion times with no results. Could someone please help me before I totally loose patience and toss the printer out the door! It is a Dell computer, the printer is a Dell all in one 942.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Did you install the drivers for the printer? Is the printer connected through USB, LPT, or a network.?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 morganza

morganza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

I don't know if I installed drivers or not! It is connected by USB cable and is not a network printer, only me. I am using LPT 2 as my printer port. I downloaded the printer program from the internet because the computer would not read the disc that came with the computer and that I installed when I purchased the computer. Your help will be greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup: :huh:

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:40 AM

Under windows XP go into the control panel and into printers and faxes. Remove the dell printer and reboot windows, let windows detect and re-install the printer. See if that works.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users