Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira refused to update, so I uninstalled and attempted to install Avast! but it failed...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hilary Duff

Hilary Duff

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

but AVG will install, what's up with that? ive scanned my computer for viruses with AVG and SUPERantispyware, they only find tracking cookies?

If you need to know, I'm running comodo firewall (but wasn't was running windows when trying to install the things I listed) and I'm currently running AVG

Edited by Hilary Duff, 26 April 2009 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

If you uninstalled Avira via Add/Remove Programs only, you might still want to run Avira's uninstall tool to be sure it has 100% uninstalled all tidbits scattered on your drive and in the registry to avoid possible future issues. Here's a link to the uninstall tool download site:

http://www.avira.com/en/support/av7_upgrade_tools.html

After running the uninstall tool, Avast probably would have installed OK for you. I run Avast and it sure is quick to notice those remnants of previous antivirus programs during installation. It just thought you might have two AV's on your system------a definite no-no. :thumbsup: The AVG, if you're happy with it, could yet encounter problems if there are bits of Avira still in your registry or lurking elsewhere on your pc. I'd definitely run that Avira uninstall tool just to be sure. You might even want to do a search on keyword AVIRA and see if you have any files/folders Avira left, too, and delete them.

Edited by buttoni, 26 April 2009 - 04:14 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#3 Hilary Duff

Hilary Duff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

Thanks a load!

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

You're quite welcome. Only reason I knew about this is I once had AVG and found out the hard way they have a special uninstaller you have to download. Don't know why they can't include that in the program itself. :thumbsup:
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users