Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What might cause this???

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TechToolGuy

TechToolGuy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

I finished watching a movie off of my server a week ago (2.5TB HP MediaSmart EX 470), and attempted to start another when I noticed my server network light had grey'd out on my tool bar, indicating it was offline. I assumed that the shoddy router/modem combo (Siemens Gigaset) provided by my ISP must have gone down again. I then went into my computer, and could no longer find a WD 1TB external HDD, as well as another 500 GB Maxtor, both hooked up via IEEE 1394, however, the internet was still active. I first shut everything down manually, including both external HDD's, Tower (HP Pavillion m9040n, Q6600, Vista Home Premium), router, and Server. I gave everything ~ 1/2 hour to think about things, and started everything back up. No change in the lack of status of the peripherals, but I did notice the red, blinking health light on the server (may have been there prior to shut down, but I didn't notice). I then thought it may be a corrupt firewire driver as both externals were offline, but my PC was connected wirelessly prior, while playing movies, music, etc... off the server. I should note that the only new thing installed - hardware OR software was a 58" Samsung Plasma TV - 3 weeks earlier. This did not add up, so I then went ahead and ran PC-Doc. Hardware diagnostic tools. There were no major issues with this other than it failed a loop-back test (I believe this is what it was called) for the firewire. I then entertained the thought that this might be a virus of somesort? I ran both a virus scanner which found a pile of the typical malware, but nothing serious, and Windows Malicious Software removal tool - it too found nothing noteworthy. It's been just over a year since I purchased the PC, and was probably due for a freshening up anyways, so I formatted my C:/ drive and reinstalled my OS. - Fresh install, and there is no change in the status of the peripherals, however, my machine certainly moves a little faster.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users