Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Dialog Box During Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrboyertown

mrboyertown

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

I have been taking care of malware I've had on my computer over in the malware removal forums. My computer is now clean of any infections but I am left with an annoying problem everytime I start my computer. I was directed to post my problem in this forum for this is where I could recieve the best help. My problem is as follows:

Every time I turn on or restart my computer when windows is loading up a windows installer dialog box appears which says "preparing to install...." This box appears for about 5 seconds and then disappears without me doing anything. Trying to hunt this problem down has been impossible for me. The only clues I have regarding what this might be is when I go into the "Event Viewer" in the administrative tools program I find alot of MsiInstaller warnings and information. I copied the log of MsiInsaller events. These events are logged everytime I start my computer.

4/25/2009 4:21:14 MsiInstaller Information None 11708 MARK\Mark Richards MARK Product: Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional -- Installation failed.
4/25/2009 4:21:10 MsiInstaller Warning None 1001 MARK\Mark Richards MARK Detection of product '{AC76BA86-1033-0000-7760-100000000002}', feature 'ViewerProgramFiles' failed during request for component '{0B326C13-8902-4CB2-A6CC-B52B463A267F}'
4/25/2009 4:21:10 MsiInstaller Warning None 1004 MARK\Mark Richards MARK Detection of product '{AC76BA86-1033-0000-7760-100000000002}', feature 'ViewerProgramFiles', component '{43C2BCCD-7B90-47D9-97F9-3DB9B063B2A8}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.api\' does not exist.

It notes above that Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional installation has failed but my Acrobat works fine....not really sure what that is about along with the other warnings that it is giving me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my topic in the malware removal forums.....it may give you some information on what Ive done recently and help you diagnose the problem.....

My Malware Removal Topic

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Adobe puts a few unwanted items on systems...I recall the update/download manager was an irritant for me.

It's possible that installing your program resulted in a startup item being placed on your system...and some part of Adobe install failed (for whatever reason). I see a reference to a "viewer" and that's essentially what Adobe Reader is.

Have you checked the Adobe forums?

Actually...if I used Adobe Reader, I would just uninstall it and reinstall it and see what happens. If that fails, I would try the Adobe forums.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Open it and see if it lists anything relating to Adobe
Tick the box by it and run the tool
Hopefully that will do it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 mrboyertown

mrboyertown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

thanks for the quick reply, i will try your suggestions and let you know how I make out. I know when I went into msconfig under startups i unchecked the adobe installer box and the window did not appear on the next startup but I remember reading that you shouldn't remove programs from startup using the msconfig utility, but that it is a good diagnostic tool when trying to eliminate what programs may be causing a problem during startups. So i re-checked the box until I can figure out the proper way to fix this problem. I will get back to you on my results.

#5 mrboyertown

mrboyertown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I also have a question about using windows installer cleanup utility. What exactly does it do? I installed the utility and when trying to use it, I found alot of adobe products listed on the installer database. When I selected some of the adobe products listed and hit remove, a box popped up saying that when proceeding with removal that i would have to individually re-install each program. I then hit cancel because I dont know if i can find the disc to re-install my adobe acrobat proffesional 7.0. Could someone explain to me in simple terms what this is all about and if i should go ahead with the removal from the installer database? Thanks.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic215405-15.html

I would hold off on any changes till your HJT thread is over and closed
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 mrboyertown

mrboyertown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

My HJT helper advised me to post this particular problem over in this forum area because I would recieve better help regarding the windows installer dialog box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users