Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Jpgs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rascal

Rascal

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Good Morning -

I'm working on a friend's computer that was badly infected with a variety of malwares. I'm currently getting help from the malware forum - and won't do anything until that process is done...of course...but here's the thing: most of their jpg's were corrupted in some way by the bad guys (the word and excel files too - but that's another matter). They were all modified on one day at the same time and voila, they can't be opened.

For the jpg's I either get 'no preview available' on 'incorrect jpg header' (well, something like that...I don't remember exactly).

I realize that it is probably a lost cause - but does anyone know of a utility or process that I could go through to recover/repair the images...many family photos are involved...and of course there is no backup

thanks in advance!

EDIT:Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 26 April 2009 - 08:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

Please mention this to extremeboy while he is helping you in HJT
After you're clean and if he cannot help you get it fixed, then post back here
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rascal

Rascal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hello, garmanma

I am back. Extremeboy cleaned up the computer just fine - and I am thrilled about that. I did discuss the file corruption issue w/ him - he offered four utilities for me to try but really said that I should come back to you.

Kindly check towards the bottom of my Vundo Blues post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218378/vundo-blues/
- his last post before the closing - to see the tools.

I tried them - the two jpeg repair did not think that the jpg was a jpg
One of the Word repair utilities did not think that the Word doc was a Word doc and the other one thought that it repaired it - but it returned similar gibberish to what I started out with.

Is there any hope?

rascal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users