Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Cloning Help of Windows XP-Carrying HD with Acronis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrSatanDracula

DrSatanDracula

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

Okay, I've been having a week's load of problems. It is time to go to the "pros", aka you guys. :thumbsup:

Two weeks ago, my old computer failed on me. I knew it wasn't a HD problem, so I bought a new computer and was hoping to get everything set up. Save...I didn't eralize that the new computer had only SATA cables and not even the possibility of hooking up a ribbon cable (which would have made my life frickin' easier).

ANyway, so I buy a hard drive case so I can hook up the HD via USB and try a ton of solutions to clone it, but each cause one error or another. One did the cloning fine, but then couldn't find the partition. Another did the cloning fine, but then gave me errors on the image restoration. Finally, I tried Acronis Trial (which is fully functioning) and everything seemed to be okay...

Until I tried to boot Windows XP from the partition with it on it.

Windows XP won't start up but the data is there on the partition. All 200+ gigs of it.

So...what can I do to make my Windows XP work? This is getting tiresome.

The partition I am now (that is working perfectly) is running Windows Vista (which I really don't much care for).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Sounds to me like you need to edit the boot.ini file...on the hard drive containing XP...no, that's wrong, if you are trying to boot the hard drive in question while it's in the USB enclosure.

If the old XP O/S is on a hard drive directly attached to the motherboard...then you may have to edit the boot.ini file on that hard drive (if the boot.ini file is damaged, for whatever reason).

I don't use Acronis but if you actually cloned the partition...the boot.ini file must be on that drive and we should assume that it's fucntional.

I would suggest removing any/all unnecessary drives (necessary = 1 boot drive, 1 optical drive) if you are attempting to boot XP via direct attachment/installation. If XP detects other drives or O/Ses...it might be confused when attempting a boot. All other drives can be installed normally...after you get XP to boot.

The fact that Vista and XP use different boot files may be pertinent here, I don't know (I don't use Vista, will pass on it and move to Windows 7).

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

You want to clone the old drive including the OS onto the new drive??

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

FWIW: I do know that the Vista bootloader files must be edited when XP is normally installed after Vista has been installed. I don't know if same applies when cloning an XP boot/system partition to an existing Vista install.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users