Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Boot problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 featherface

featherface

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hello

I built my computer at the begining of this past school year and it has never given me any sort of trouble. I came into the room today and it was in the "your computer has shut down unexpectadly screen how would you like to restart"

I selected restart with last known configuration and it went into a reboot loop. After selecting last known, it would sit there for about 5 seconds then the bars at the bottom of the screen would advance. It would go to the XP startup screen. exactly 15 seconds of the startup screen would go, then the little green "thinking" bars would freeze, a split second of a BSOD would flash and it would reboot and send me to the selection screen again. It didn't matter which selection I used.

The harddrive was making an odd clicking noise (kinda like an IPod when its stuck) so I took out the harddrive and reconnected it. Now I cannot even get into the selection screen. It clicks for a bit, then the mobo beeps once and the Screen displays the processor and memory setting information on the screen.

It says below that,
Initializing USB controlers ....Done
4096MB OK

then it sits there for a while clicking. and something about auto detecting the SATA pops up. then really fast a 3 line long thing about the SATA that I cant read pops up and it advances to the next screen.

This screen says
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

at this time the harddrive stops clicking.

System Specs
MSI K982 CF
AMD Phenom X3
ATI HD 4850
2x2gb mushkin RAM
HD = Samsung 640GB model:HD642JJ

I have no clue whats going on. All the fans start up and the disk drive will open and close. Any suggestions? I have my XP install disk. There isnt anything on the computer that I absolutely HAVE to have, but I would greatly prefer that I get it back to working without reinstalling the OS which it looks like I need to do.....or get a new harddrive which is also gross.

EDIT: Ok I just put my XP home disk in to try and run the Recovery Console to do a few checks I figured I might get asked to run.

I click R to get in and it says

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.

Then a message about making sure its powered on and connected and blah blah blah. I shut down and reconnected and the same thing. Guessing this means my drive is dead huh?

Edited by featherface, 25 April 2009 - 11:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

Looks like a hard disk failure. If you can, connect this hard disk in another computer as secondary (possibly a friends) and run chkdsk on it.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

I suggest downloading a hard drive diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's website...and then using that to verify the operational status of the hard drive. If you do so, please follow manufacturer's guidance for using the diagnostic.

In the event that you have options for a short test and a long test in the diagnostic...run the long test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users