Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycle Bin Won't Empty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:12 AM

I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes:
Have you ever heard of not being able to delete things from the Recycle Bin?
For the 2nd day in a row, these 4 items won't delete. Two are gifs, the other two are an Explorer site search result and something that came from it (I think) or at least that is what it looks like.
Any ideas how to fix?
Thanks!
~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:19 AM

I've heard rumors that malware will sometimes do that, although I can't say that I have ever seen it happen...

It might be that your system thinks they are still in use?? Reboot your system and see if that makes a difference. If they still don't delete, then we may want to investigate more.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:11 AM

Groovicus,
Thanks for the input. I decided to run all my programs and now my bin is empty. I never even thought it could be malware, wasn't putting the two of them together. Thanks again.
~67~

#4 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:52 PM

For future use some times renaming a file to a txt will alow you to remove it from the recycle bin

Another trick is to just forget about the bin and use a third party shredder
Like this little freebie also if you have spybot search and destroy it comes with a really good shredder
Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:42 PM

Another thing you may want to try, is to delete it in Safe Mode. Most nasties will not survive that. Also, instead of using a 3-rd party to delete it, you should be able to delete from DOS. Just do a search for the file, go to START-RUN type cmd, type del and the EXACT name of the file. It will get rid of it.

BTW-in case you didnt know, to bypass the bin entirely, with a file that you know you want to delete, highlight the file, hold shift and delete on the keyboard. The file will not go to the recycle bin.

One more thing about the recycle bin-if you ever wanted to know how to rename it, then follow this:
  • Start Notepad
  • type the following EXATCLY:
  • Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
  • [HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
  • "Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
  • "CallFor Attributes'=dword:00000000
  • Save the file as renamerecyclebin.reg-make sure you give it a registry file extension
  • click the icon that you just made, and click Yes
  • Right-click Recycle Bin, and the Rename will appear
edited: Another good thing about renaming the Recycle bin-sometimes the files that can not be erased, go in there, and it makes it more difficult for them to re-appear after a restart. Not really sure why though.

Edited by JEservices, 26 August 2004 - 05:44 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users