Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Embassy Suite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lappy

lappy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

Embassy Trust Suite by Wave Systems came prepackaged on my Dell laptop when I purchased it last summer.

I've been slowly going through and deleting useless crap (anyone here like extra MSN shortcuts? I've got plenty left!) and trying to free up as much memory as possible. I'm not sure what sort of security this program offers and if I really need it or not on my Windows XP Professional (SP3). It is just, uh, a security program, um, right? Okay, I have no idea what the #$@# it's supposed to do that Windows OS and my choice software can't handle on their own.

What exactly IS this thing? Do I need it? If so, what smaller/just-as-efficient freeware version would make a good replacement, if there exists one?

Also, I find it rather disconcerting that I can't seem to find widespread information on such a huge program that comes prepackaged from one of the most prominent computer suppliers in the world. Why so hush hush?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

Looks like it's geared more for the traveler/business user

http://www.wave.com/products/ets_ESeries.asp
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lappy

lappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

Thank you! D'oh! I went to the Wave site but I apparently missed that page after doing a search for the thing, thanks.

Hmm, tailored for business use? So it's mostly for extra-super-special protection/encryption for people who use their computers for business-related activities and may want to have extra deadlocks on their sensitive documents and the like? I'm a high school teacher and graduate student whose main worry is having a bunch of 15 to 18-year-olds steal it and replace the motherboard with silly string, not having someone try to stealthily steal documents/information off of it.

Would you say that the normal security measures which comes with a standard Windows XP suffice for home-type use (surfing the Net, writing up evil tests, watching movies) or should I keep this?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

I doubt if I would use it
When you read the paper and see that some intern, working for the government, had their laptop stolen with addresses and whatnot on it
I believe this is to help secure it in those situations
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users