Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring folders and files between partitions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

Just that. I am trying to improve my folder structure (placement) on my HD between partitions and I am finding that this involves transferring folders and files between partitions.

I know that transferring within a partition is lickedy split but transfer speeds between partitions is ranging from a few kilobits to a few (1-8) megabits/sec. When dealing with large GB amounts of files this is becoming quit a task.

So, my question is: Is there a way to transfer files and folders between partitions faster?

John

PS Vista is really slow with this. I'm not sure how XP works with this.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 piku9000

piku9000

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

do you have sp1 installed? it's supposed to improve the file handling and speed

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Yes, I do have SP1 installed.

I did try a suggestion from a different post, to rename and change the partition letter. That actually seemed to improve transfer speeds greatly at first anyway, up to 40 MB/sec, a lot faster than the KB/s and maybe a few MB/s. It averaged about 20 MB/s after that, still a big improvement.

I definitely want to know more on this point because I am trying to set up my PC so that I don't have to change things around to often but that I'll still have good performance speeds.

So, any advice on keeping things running fast and smoothly over long periods of time will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 piku9000

piku9000

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

how much are you trying to copy? 2gbs in little files can take so much time, where a 2gb file is way much faster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users