Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting hard drive with XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quinnjp

quinnjp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

I purchased my HP computer from COMPUSA in October 2002, with Windows XP loaded already. I received no CD having Windows XP on it. I want to reformat my hard drive now, for various reasons. If I reformat the drive, I lose the operating system on it, right? Is there any way I can reformat the drive and still get Windows XP reloaded, without buying another copy?
Thanks - John Quinn aka XXXXXXXXXXXXX

(Moderator edit: Email address deleted to avoid spambots. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 21 June 2005 - 11:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:06 PM

Making sure you've covered all your bases...

You say you bought an HP (new) from a CompUSA store that came with XP. It should have come with some CDs; they may say HP Recovery/Drivers and not obviously be XP disks. Either that or on your HP harddisk is a partition which contains the XP install if you need to blow it up and start over. Please double check; you should not need to purchase a copy.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

You can reintsal it with the serial found to the right of the cd drive on the computer box.

#4 quinnjp

quinnjp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

Pchartwell and Techsomething - Thanks for your replies! Some questions, if I may:

For Pchartwell: Yes, I bought the comptuer new. With regard to the partition that may be on the hard drive, are you saying that I can reformat just the part that Windows XP is not on?

For Techsomething - If I find the serial number to the right of the CD drive, what do I do with it? Reformat the drive, then start up the computer and hope it asks me for the serial number, which I then give it, and Windows XP reappears on the reformatted drive?

Thanks much!

quinnjp

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:11 PM

Your HP computer will have the OS on another protected partition.

You can find out more about using it here.

Edited to add: remember that you have to re-install updates, including SP2 if your computer did not come with it. Make sure you have a working anti-virus before connecting to the internet. (You can download and burn AVG to a CD so you can install it before connecting to the internet.)

Edited by Herk, 21 June 2005 - 03:13 PM.

#6 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

In conjunction with what Herk said, there should be some bootable 'recovery' disk or CD that came with the HP which can be employed. It would not do to simply reformat the XP part of the disk and rely on the OS partition to come to the rescue.

#7 quinnjp

quinnjp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:42 PM

Pchartwell and Herk - Thanks for your responses. The link to the HP web site that Herk provided helped a lot. For one thing, it clarified that HP in fact did not provide Windows XP or recovery CDs. Here's an excerpt from the site:

NOTE: HP PCs that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a hidden partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. Recovery discs for Windows XP are available from HP for a minimal cost. Go to the section " Related support " for ordering information.

The link to the HP site provided some instructions for a "system recovery" and a "destructive recovery." I think I'll just be real sure I have everything I can't afford to lose in a safe place, then try the system recovery first.

I really appreciate the help.

quinnjp

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

FWIW - I've restored HP computers like this and it was a painless process. Everything is just like it came from the store. No need even to activate Windows - it's all done for you. And it doesn't take long. It will probably take longer to get the Windows Updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users