Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware doctor?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lisbon

lisbon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

Does spyware doctor work?Does spyware doctor with av work too?
I wanted to try avg on windows 7 instead of antivir(had on xp) but avg was a memory hog in fact as I'm typing its freezing because of the resident shield, which i turned of but decided not to because its important, so i want to install something that isn't a CPU hog, because i don't have a lot of CPU.So i also want spyware doctor but if i get it i feel like i wont be about to run a anti virus because of the CPU unless the avg CPU problem is a bug, so i was thinking of spyware doctor with antirvirus or avira antivir with no spyware doctor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

I use Avira antivirus and Malwarebyte's Anti-malware. They play fine together on my Windows7 Beta machine :thumbsup:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 01d5od

01d5od

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Sometimes the Avira does 'freezing' because of the explore or context menu addition by the Avira.
This addition to the Avira features can uninstalled through the Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Open the Avira in the list using the Change/Remove button and do not uninstall the avira just select the change option and there should be a list to de-select the context/or explorer scanner.
Then reboot after you are finished.

Individual files can still be easily scanned by the avira antivirus without the context menu scanner - just open the avira GUI from the tray icon and then drag and drop the file or folder to be scanned over the avira GUI. It will get scanned instantly.

Of course it could be the Avira is not quite ready yet for window 7 and does not work properly with the windows 7.

Richard.

Edited by 01d5od, 25 April 2009 - 05:23 PM.

ZA Pro & Avira antivirus & SSM Pro & Privoxy & Protowall & Opera for security. Topped off with a limited user account on fully updated XP HE SP3.

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

I used to run Spyware Doctor but got rid of it long before my license was going to expire. It was too bloated. But I ditched it primarily because it had waaaay too many false positives for my taste. It also conflicted with clean installs of Avast antivirus, which I will never ditch. I switched to SuperAntispyware (free edition at first). I am so pleased with SAS Pro I bought a lifetime subscription for only $10 more than the single license.

Edited by buttoni, 27 April 2009 - 12:56 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 Hilary Duff

Hilary Duff

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

I ditched Spyware Doctor when I had it, because it had many false positives,
first, it claimed a registry key was part of Trojan Virtumonde,when the computer was practically new, and I scanned with other things like SUPERantispyware, and they found nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users