Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Read Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Help!

I have just cleaned PC inside (as per guide on here). To start with it loaded up OK as far as the screen where you select which user you want to sign into - I clicked on my user name and got a blue screen of death. The PC will now not load up at all - I get the message "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl Alt and Del to restart.

I tried pressing F10 to access recovery but it gets so far and then I get a blue screen of death again.

What have I done?

Can anyone help?

I have gone into BIOS and the hard drive isn't being detected. I was very careful when cleaning the PC and didn't touch the hard drive at all so I don't understand why its suddenly not working. I have checked all the cables are connected OK.

Edited by secretangel, 25 April 2009 - 10:44 AM.

Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Check the cable connection to the hard drive .
Also check the cable connection that goes to the motherboard for the hard drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

I have checked both. I unplugged the power cable to the hard drive and when I rebooted the PC I immediately got a message stating that no hard drive could be detected. When I plugged it in again and rebooted it seems to be recognising it physically but when it gets to scanning the ide drives it is not being detected.
Posted Image

#4 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Further information - when the pc is loading, if I press F10 for recovery, it goes past the loading windows xp screen, then hangs on a blue screen until a blue screen of death appears with the following information:-

Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error

at the end of the message it has "win32k.sys"
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957628.aspx

If you have a MS XP CD...I suggest running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

If no MS XP CD...you can download an .iso file and then burn that to CD, using an .iso-burning program.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

Louis

#6 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the information.

I do have a recovery disk but when I boot into that and press R for recovery I get a message saying that no hard drive is installed, recovery cannot continue.
Posted Image

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

Your recovery disk...is not the same as the XP Recoveery Console.

Recovery/restore CDs issued by a system manufacturer...are not the same thing as a "genuine" MS XP install CD. The install CD contains repair tools which may not be provided by a manufacturer selling to retail customers.

How to use the Windows recovery console. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm

Louis

#8 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Thats helpful of the manufacturers!!

Thanks for the link - I will let you know how I get on.
Posted Image

#9 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

Update!

I ended up buying a new PC as I need one for my business.

After googling the original problem and seeing that the hard drive might not necessarily be faulty I have bought a new internal hard drive for my old PC and a new cable. (The plan being that I could use the new hard drive as the master and once pc was up and running I could install the old one as a slave and possibly retrieve my data from it.)

I have physically installed the new hard drive and following my Upgrading and Repairing PC's book started up the PC but it is still not recognising that a hard drive is installed.

I had set it to boot from CD but the only Windows XP disc that I have is the recovery disc that came with my original PC. I have used that in the past to reinstall windows XP on my old PC when it crashed but is this what I need to enable me to partition and format the new hard drive? Do I need an actual Windows XP disc? Is that why the hard drive is not being recognised or is there some other reason for this?

Also I recently visited the website of the manufacturer of my old pc and it seemed that there was a known problem about the hard drive not being recognised. There was a fix available (downloading an .iso file and making a boot disc) but that didn't work either.

Edited by secretangel, 22 May 2009 - 06:27 AM.

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

It may have been time for a new system.

FWIW: If I were going to use a PC for buiness purposes, there are certain things I would do.

a. Routinely back up the entire system, placing such in a safe, secure place.

b. Ensure that I have the basic tools needed for installing/repairing the O/S (Microsoft CD).

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

Well yes I resolved the problem by getting a new PC but my question in the last post was about getting the old hard drive working as I'm not sure that that was actually faulty and it was something else that caused it to not be recognised considering that a brand new hard drive that I put into the old PC wasn't recognised either.

Can anyone answer my question about whether I have the right type of disc to get the new hard drive working (partitioned/formatted/operating system loaded).
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users