Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Edition Recovery Install Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kungfud2

kungfud2

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

I have both XP Home and Pro installed on my machine. The computer came with Home Edition factory installed but I had a NTLDR problem that crashed the system. When I installed XP Pro it gave me a dual boot and I can boot into Pro version just fine, but all of my important docs are in the other partition with Home Edition.

When I go into Safe Mode after selecting Home Edition, I get the following list in this exact order:

multi:(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi:(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
multi:(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL

Also, my hidden files shows the following log:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

I have an install CD and want to perform a recovery install but I either get a blank screen or the three messages I listed above. Anyone know what I can do to get my Home Edition back on track?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

That boot.ini file data reflects XP Pro as the default boot O/S and shows that it's on your first partition.

Data reflects XP Home as installed on second partition, same hard drive.

When system boots, you should get window reflecting both O/Ses...choose the second and you should be in XP Home.

You should be able to see the XP Home install from XP Pro. Moving documents from one to the other is a routine moving operation...unless you get an "access denied" message from My Docs or such.

That can be overcome by the following, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 kungfud2

kungfud2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

It's an HP a400n.

For some reason I can only boot into XP Pro. Whenever I select XP Home from the boot options screen, I simply get a black screen and nothing more. If I try to boot into XP Home via Safe Mode, that's when I get this:

multi:(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi:(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
multi:(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL

XP Pro didn't come with the machine ... it's just a recent install I borrowed from the IT guy at work so that I could have at least a semi-functional computer at home. I'm trying to access documents that were on the desktop my Admin screen in XP Home. Everything else from the C Drive that was from XP Home is visible through XP Pro, except for the desktop contents. Accessing the C Drive desktop folder through XP Pro shows the folder as empty (even though the desktop was full of items at crash time) and right clicking says something like access denied.

#4 kungfud2

kungfud2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Just so you know how this all began, Initially I received a "NTLDR is Compressed. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE" message and that would result in an endless loop. I foolishly installed XP Pro thinking that the result would be similar to a repair install, but it just created another partition.

Basically I'm trying to fix the Home Edition so that hopefully I can go back to the XP Home desktop and have access to all my important files.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

If you get a black screen with the cursor in the upper left hand corner...when attempting to boot into XP Home...that's (probably) an indication that your MBR is fouled up.

You can repair that, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

If what you are wanting to do is access files on the XP Home partition and you can't get to them from XP Pro....I have an off the wall solution for you....Try a live CD of Puppy Linux (I told you it was off the wall)...

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads

Burn an ISO Image, using software that supports burning ISO'S (I use this).

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Once the CD is burned, load it in the tray and re-boot....Puppy will load and after a little bit of navigation you will get to your Window Files...Puppy runs on RAM not your Hard Drive...It's kinda' usefull to have around...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 kungfud2

kungfud2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Thanks 'Grumpy' ... I'll give your puppy option a shot as well as "hamluis" microsoft option. The main thing I'm concerned with is retrieving those lost files and it seems like they're still on my hard drive since XP Pro was installed on a different partition ... I was sure not to reformat anything during the process and the available space is pretty much the same as it was before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users