Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer disappears

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 samoyed

samoyed

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hi,

I am using Windows XP SP3. I have been using my old Canon Printer S100SP without any problem until today.

My Notebook will not detect the Printer.
I check under Control Pannel, Printer & Faxes, my Cannon Printer does not appear.
I check Printe Port under Device Manager and everything seem to be in order. Driver is ok.

Can sonmeone kindly advise.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

If uninstalling and reinstalling the printer...does not overcome your situation...I'd probably conclude that the printer is dead.

Have you tested it on a different system?

Is it USB? If so, have you tried a different USB port on your system?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

In addition to Louis suggestion, try a different USB cable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hi hamluis & garmanma,

I had tried a different USB port and printer cable. But my notebook still does not detect the Printer.
It doesn't show up on Control Panel, Printer & Faxes. How do I uninstall and re-install the printer?

However my printer responded to my other notebook and printed fine.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

To uninstall...go to Control Panel/Printers & Faxes...and simply delete it. You may also have to delete appropriate programs via Add/Remove Programs that were installed with the device.

To reinstall...simply reinstall the accompanying software which came with the printer.

Louis

#6 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

To uninstall...go to Control Panel/Printers & Faxes...and simply delete it. You may also have to delete appropriate programs via Add/Remove Programs that were installed with the device.

To reinstall...simply reinstall the accompanying software which came with the printer.

Louis

Hi hamluis,
it does not show up on Control Panel/Printers & Faxes at all.
When I click Add Printer. I immediately get a message "Operation cannot be completed".

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

OK, sorry...I can be dense much of the time :thumbsup:.

I would go to services...and see if the Print Spooler service is running. It should reflect a status of Started, with startup type Automatic. If it's not started, see if you can do so by clicking the appropriate button at the upper left of the screen.

You might also want to remove old drivers which may be interfering, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Louis

#8 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

Hi hamluis,

Found the problem.
Apparently Print Spooler was set to Manual. I set it back to Automatic and Started it. Now it is working fine!

Thank You.

Edited by samoyed, 26 April 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Lucky guess :thumbsup:, happy computing :huh:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users