Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 9.04: IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R51e Networking Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

I have a ThinkPad R51e with a Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet interface and a 11b/g Wireless LAN PCI Adapter and neither one seem to be fully recognized by Ubuntu. The ethernet port works somewhat, but I cannot connect to the Internet, or even my modem, however I can connect to my router.

Also, I can't seem to change the address on the interface for some reason. I can make a new connection, but it is never applied. I'm just stuck with the same 192.168.1.107 /24 address when I look at the network utility in the admin menu.

When I boot into Windows, I can get connected with no issues, regardless of which interface I use.

Any suggestions/things I should know?

I've also posted this on the Ubuntu Forums, but I usually get faster replies here.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

Nevermind, the problem seemed to fix itself.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Could you post what you did to fix it so that others with the same problem can have the solution?

#4 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

Isn't linux brilliant.... it fixes itself!

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Could you post what you did to fix it so that others with the same problem can have the solution?

I disabled Firestarter because it was blocking everything, plus my router already has/acts as a firewall. Sorry for the extra-late reply, btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users