Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Purchase

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kymaureen1

Kymaureen1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

Hi all! I am about to purchase a desktop. I play games, listen to music and work with photo's. I also use business apps once in awhile, such as MS Word/Excel. What is really important to me is SPEED, great sound (music) and the ability to multi-task without hanging up.
I have always bought HP (ex-employee) but am looking at a Dell. Any recommendations/warnings???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

HP and Dell don't seem to play to the high-end market much. There's a reason they don't speak much about the brand names of their parts. There are tons of brands of gaming-type pc's out there. If money is no object, something like Alienware would be good to look into.

OTOH, if you want specific things, you can always build your own . . .

Alienware

KAOS pc's

ABS computers

#3 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

I think a nice dell might be good for you but i am also a fan of building costums

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

Performance and bargain PCs do NOT correlate. Be sure and avoid 'Celeron' type processors and make sure you get a 'real' (not on-board) video card if you're serious about gaming. Don't accept less than 512 MB of speedy RAM and get more if you can afford it.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:35 PM

Narrow your choice down to one or two models/brands, and post the specifications of each here. The members can certainly advise you about whether they will fill your needs, and which you should buy.
Some extreme gaming models are very HOT and very expensive; many well-known companies can offer almost similar specs without the LOOK, and at a more reasonable price.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:19 PM

u can also try Cyber Power Systems, Inc.

my friend had bought 1 from there and it got there in like i think it was 3 weeks (but if u can afford it, i'm not saying that u cant, u can get it at your doorstep overnight if u want) and i personally recommend that u build a custom, but thats my opinion. if u wanna go down the path of custom building go to Newegg they have some pretty good stuff for extremely reasonable prices!

well, theres my 2 cents. just follow your heart man, thats wat i do

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users