Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddisk failling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JMHanly

JMHanly

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

I have already re-formatted vista from boot with the CD, but i just did a system assessment with BIOS on start-up and the hard failed the DST short test and showed an error code of '2000-0146.' I'm thinking about deep formatting the whole computer, is this the solution and what software shud i use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Boot the Vista disk
Delete the partition
format the drive
If it still fails the test[s] it's toast.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

Depending on the make of the HDD go to the Manufactures site and download their testing software. Run the long test and see if it comes back with errors. If it does chances are the HDD is on the way out. Use it sparingly, I have had drives fail the test and keep working and drives that passed the test that I couldn't format.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

I'll add this: ASAP, back up anything you don't want to lose. If your drive is failing, it could go out at any moment and you may not be able to recover anything.

#5 JMHanly

JMHanly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Thanx for the replies :thumbsup:

yer i've backed it up now, luckily it was b4 anything went wrong but because the HD slowed down the whole OS it took almost 2 days to transfer 112GB thru LAN, lol. Wud it work if i just installed the OS on an external HD n run it off there? Wud it be slower? Do external HDs have less rpm than internal HDs?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

You can run an OS on an external drive but you will be bottle necked by the USB connection. The Speed of the external drive depends on how fast the HDD is that's installed most are the same thing as a standard HDD (7200)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 JMHanly

JMHanly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

true that, well are there any programs you know of that can repair my HD, or identify the problems in more depth?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

IF the HDD failed the manufactures test its not worth saving unless you have irreplaceable data on the drive that needs recovered. The drive likely had damage to the read/write heads or to one of the platters. If you want to try a low level format you can use a program called Killdisk you will need to burn the Image to an ISO or make a bootable dos diskette. If you do a low level format and re-install windows you are only prolonging the inevitable you should keep current back ups incase the drive goes completely dead if its not already.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 JMHanly

JMHanly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

my hard disk is coming up "OK" in all diagnostic test after i re-formatted vista, so it seems. Now i have to do 81 vista updates (which takes hours), i've tried doing these updates several times and restarting afterwards, but everytime my computer starts back up again it fails and i have to do a start-up recovery and system restore .... very frustrating!

P.S. comp works fine after restore but i have to do the updates again. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users