Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Backup Utility Useful

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:14 AM

is it illeagal to copy/install the "ntbackup.msi" onto my PC from someon elses CD since i have a OEM (4 CD recovery) not a retail. i just find it useful. Or better off finding a freeare version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

Izzy

Check out these two links for some answers that might help you.

Why XP Home Edition omits NT Backup!

How can I get NTBackup for Windows XP Home Edition

Since you have the OEM and not the retail version seems to me you were "cheated"
out of part of programs you thought you paid for in price of your machine.

(I'm unsure about the legality of the issue.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 richardg

richardg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

Its completely legal to add NTbackup to XP Home. Microsoft themselves have admitted that they simply neglected to include it in the components for XP Home. Check out this article about where you can get it How to add NTbackup to XP Home. Also, if you are interested in backup topics - check out my website Information Resource for Windows Backup Software

#4 jym

jym

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

You appear to know a bit about the XP Backup utility. I also figured out you could load it from the disk and I backed up one laptop, in a network, transferred the file to another computer in the network, reformatted the laptop then transferred the Backup file back and NTBackup, though it created it, won't open it.

How do I reopen this 15 GIG clump of data? There was no warning when I backed it up.

Please, I'd really appreciate anything while my wife is waiting to kill me. At least I saved all her photos to a separate folder, without a backup program, but there is lots of information, especially her old emails, and documents created that amount to hundreds of hours of work, that will be lost;

Thank you,

Jim

#5 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

[NO, I can't help you get your lost data back. Sorry]

For any backup program or routine to be totally effective, it must back up everything on the C: partition including the boot sector. After all, in many cases, you're going to be restoring to a brand new HD because your old one squeeled, screamed and/or smoked. :cool:

I've been at this for more years than I really want to discuss here and now, and I know from whence I speak. I could go on for pages about "Data Lost". Maybe we can do that another day in a different thread, titled "Horror Stories of Data Lost" :flowers:

Any backup that can't do a full restore (on its own) is NO backup at all. It's worse than worthless because it gives (you) false hopes.

The best I've ever found so far, and believe me I've looked, is the Norton Ghost 2003, which can be easily run from a boot floppy disk or CD. It was originally written in the mid 90's by "Ghostsoft, Inc."
I've put it on a boot floppy with full mouse control, incorporating a full color (ansi) menu that allows me to do a full cleanup of my HD before I actually run the Ghost program to do the backup.
I save about 2 gigs of space by doing the cleanup before running Ghost.

I think it was written by little grey guys from "Out there somewhere". :trumpet:
Because, it's absolutely "Out of This World". :P

Anyway, it can be run from any type of boot disk (floppy or CD) and can read a FAT-32 or NTFS partition equally well. It can then write a true Image of your C: partition to any second partition, a second HD or even directly to a CD(s) or DVD.

For a Quickie backup I use Ghost to make an image to the second partition of my SATA hard drive. That takes less than 4 (four) minutes. Or to a partition on my Backup (IDE) drive. (5 minutes.)
Or to a DVD, (about a half hour).

When writing to a CD or DVD, Ghost asks me if I want it to put the Boot disk on the DVD as the boot sector.
When I say yes, it copies my whole boot disk to the DVD so when I boot up with the DVD, I see my boot disk, with my custom color menu.

If I'm going to restore to a brand new HD, like I have in the past, I boot up first with my ME boot disk.
From there, I can FDISK and format the new HD to verify its integrety before I do my Ghost restore to the C: partition. (I always create TWO partitions on every new HD that I set up. One for the OS and programs and one for STUFF, like pictures, music and anything I just want to Store and not have to scan and defrag all the time.) Control your STUFF,,,,,,don't let it control you! :)

//Mod edit: All help is performed here on the BC forums, not via other means/methods.//

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear? :inlove:

The Shadow :thumbsup:

Edited by KoanYorel, 14 May 2006 - 01:56 PM.

For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#6 jym

jym

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

This really took 2 hours to back up nothing? Why would Microsoft have a backup program that doesn't back up to restore. I would think if there were a glitch, it would just stop and reject the backup.

#7 jym

jym

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

... Another thought, it says when I open the Backup program it should automatically open the file. If it doesn't, wouldn't that be a problem with some kind of pointer function. If it's not backing up the computer, what is it backing up for two plus hours. Microsoft makes both the operating system and the Backup utility, can't they get their own monopoly right? If anything, it's misleading, like telling someone the wrong time of day on purpose, instead of saying I Don't know? I would think any lack of a disclaimer and warning about checking and double checking would leave them open to liability. After all, I can't dig a hole in the sidewalk in front of my house without warning or you fall and you own me.

Jim

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

Though your comments and satire are amusing, it really doesn't provide the information for any of us to help you.

Can you provide some additional details as noted here?
The more information you provide, the better one here might be able to help you.

#9 jym

jym

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

I guess the fact that Windows XP Home is my operating system might be something I left out. The positive misleading factor was I watched this download all the way through, especially the finish and it was complete. Now I guess I have to be a rocket scientist to restore it.

Jim

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

Hang on there JVM,

More members' eyes will oversee these posts and try to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users