Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video Signal!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 navajodriver

navajodriver

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

First time I've used the computer in a while (turned on a few times over the last couple of years). Turned it on, get no video signal on screen and continuous beeping sound coming from computer. Unhooked EVERYTHING from motherboard (HD, power source, video card, cpu, fan, RAM, etc), reconnected things one by one. Everything is connected, no beeping sounds anymore. However, still no Video Signal. Starting to get aggravated. Here are the specs, let me know what you guys think. Thanks for any help you may provide.

Motherboard: Imperial GV 143159
HD: SeaGate 200GB
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.6GHz
Video Card: eVGA GeForce FX 5700 LE / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out
RAM: (2) Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory
Power Supply: Okia / 450-Watt / ATX / 80mm Fan / 20/24-Pin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

ur drivers? u checked those?

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#3 navajodriver

navajodriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

how? im not computer savvy enough to be able to check drivers without being able to access any type of screen whatsoever.

btw, i've tried all video outputs, vga, s-video, and dvi.

P.S. If this is in incorrect forum, where should i post it?

Edited by navajodriver, 24 April 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#4 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

No, but when u bought pc u generally get Cd's delivered with the parts? maybe that helps?

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#5 navajodriver

navajodriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

ahh, i no longer have access to those cd's unfortunately. anything else i can do?

#6 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

hm probably yes, maybe someone else can help u further ='/

#7 navajodriver

navajodriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

i hope so...thanx for tryin

#8 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

hm last try, generally u can find the manuals/drivers/help for ur hardware Online. You can find these manuals (and drivers) at the website of the brand of your hardware. So if your videocard is from Nvidia u can take a look at the Nvidia website. Though make sure u know exacly what type or hardware you have.

If u dont know your exact type of hardware you have, u can use Everest to find out

I hope this can help you further

Edited by Stofzuiger, 25 April 2009 - 04:17 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

The deciding factor is whether the system is now making it through the POST (Power On Self Test). This is where the original beeping would have been occurring, if the sound was from the small speaker/beeper inside the computer, rather than any external speakers connected to the system.

Does the system give the normal single beep that indicates a successful POST? If not (and from what you say it sounds like it does not), no drivers or software of any kind will be relevant at the moment.

When you say you disconnected everything from the motherboard, and list CPU, do you mean you removed the CPU from its socket? Is it correctly re-fitted? 12V Intel power connector re-fitted?

What order did you re-fit everything? The first step should be to power up the board with only the CPU, which should result in insistent beeping due to no memory. If there is still no sound in this case, (and all the power connectors are correctly fitted and the PSU starts) then the CPU has probably been re-fitted incorrectly, or some damage occurred.

If the system beeps, then add the memory (remember to have the system fully powered off at the mains, not just in standby) and the beeping should change to the code for no video card. If not, then suspicion falls on the memory (faulty or not seated correctly) or motherboard. If it indicates no video card, add the video card and monitor and you should see the POST equipment check and it should complain of no operating system. If the screen is blank at this point suspect the video card or AGP slot. If you see the POST, continue adding components until the system stops working, the last thing you added is at fault.

Edited by Platypus, 25 April 2009 - 06:16 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 navajodriver

navajodriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

thank you for all the input. work has taken me away from home for a few days, so i wont be able to get back to the computer for a while. i did not hear a single beep when i started it last time, wasnt really listening though. i will try all this when i get back in to town, and post a response on the progress. thanks again guys.

#11 navajodriver

navajodriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

ok, sorry i took so long. here is the deal now, did some troubleshooting with a relative to realize the motherboard AND power source needed replacing. i did that, and now i have video. however, xp didnt want to load. so i tried the re-install disk, that froze every time at blue screen saying "setup is loading files...". i reformatted my hd via a hard drive enclosure connected to my laptop, then tried installing xp again. same problem. tried a different hard drive, exactly the same problem. tried loading via a different cd drive, same problem. i dont know what else to try here, and i no longer know if this belongs in this forum, but any help would be appreciated. thank you.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

The situation of XP not loading with a new motherboard is quite normal, it is set up for the old hardware.

Considering what you've already tried, my first impression is carefully clean the installation disk (or borrow another just to prove the case), and if you're still using the same memory, try the install with only one of the DIMMs fitted, as one may have been damaged along with the motherboard.

Unfortunately there's no quick way to tell which one, it's either a process of elimination trying the install with each DIMM, or download and run a memory testing utility. They take some time to run, I think it would be quicker to re-try the install with each DIMM individually to prove if that's the cause.

If the install still fails in both trials, it's either something else, or both memory sticks faulty - substituting known good memory or running a memory testing utility would prove which.

Edited by Platypus, 29 April 2009 - 06:14 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 navajodriver

navajodriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

ok, i tried two different installation disks, same result. i've tried four different RAM sticks, two known to be good, same result. i don't know what else to try. my frustration level has peaked. i think its time i hand it over to someone else to figure out.

Edited by navajodriver, 30 April 2009 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users