Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copy folders with multiple files without overwriting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Okay, here is a good question, maybe one that has been asked before but here it goes.

I like most people have an ext hard drive (multiple actually) and I update it weekly, monthly depending on which one, in this case my music. I do download alot of music and have been copying all of my Vinyl (big black diskshaped media used to play music and such with a record player) and my old tape collection (again a type of media that was used to play music or other media). Now when I copy the "My Music" folder to my ext. hard drive it tells me the usual song and dance such and such file already exists do you want to replace with this such and such file, click yes, yes to all or no. If I click yes to all just to put the new files in the folder it overwrites the existing files and sometimes and this is what really gets my teeth clinched and my heart rate to near explosive levels, the overwrite corrupts a song or two or who knows how many and I have to find that song again and reupload or download or copy from my aging music media (some of which I am suprised to get that one more play our of).

Now this is not just in my music but in all the folders / files I copy and back up. What I would like to know is, is there a way to copy a folder with new added files without overwriting the data that already exists? I am using Windows XP pro on a Dell Vostro 1000, I don't think the computer matters as this happens on my work computers too and other computers I have including my Mac.

Also speaking of corrupted music files, I HAD a fairly decent copy of "Axe - Rock-n-Roll party in the Streets" I was able to pull most of the squeaks out when I copied from tape, which I no longer own and I have been looking all over for another copy.

Ebay, rhapsody, itunes and the like dont seem to have it nor heard of such an animal, so if any of you out there may have happened across it at one of you local music stores (hopefully not closed yet) get me an address so that I might contact them for this jewel of a song now close to extinction, or if you have seen in your closet or attic let me know. I know this forum shouldnt really be used for pitching for items but I am somewhat desperate to relocate that song. So Thank you for any help you can give me in this matter of coping folders with multiple files and also on the later. Thank you very much.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 24 April 2009 - 02:14 PM.
paragraphs :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

FWIW: I copy music, video, and other files...into folders where the same file or earlier file with same name exists...and I don't recall any instance of file corruption from such.

The obvious (IMO) answer is...either rename the file or copy it to a different folder.

Windows cannot allow 2 files with the same name...to coexist in the same folder, same file path. Such would lead to chaos for the system.

Thus the overwriting mechanism when a filename existing is added to a file location already occupied.

Louis

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

The Axe album you are looking for was reissued on CD by Wounded Bird Records in 2002. You can find it on their website. If you're just looking for a download of the song, a quick Google search should find it on Last.fm and other similar services.

http://www.woundedbird.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users