Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend an internal HD for external enclosure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

I've determined, for the most part, that buying an internal hard drive and dropping it in an enclosure is going to be cheaper than buying an external hard drive. I need to record stuff I do at work and then edit it at home - hence the enclosure part, it has to be portable.

Couple of questions:
- How is performance going to be if the video of using my computer is being recorded to this hard drive, via USB cable (what most enclosures come with)
- I'm looking at some of the 1TB models from Seagate and WD... But I heard the failure rate is just unacceptably high.

What's BC's recommendations on brand and connection type? The computer I'm recording on doesn't have firewire, or I probably would have opted for that...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Also... how does the option of a dual-bay enclosure and 2x 500-gb hard drives sound? Better or worse than one 1-tb hard drive?

#3 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

if your going to be using raw video then i would reccomend something with firewire, ive had nothing but problems with usb and video editing. there are plenty of enclosures that support it
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#4 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

The problem with that is the computer at work, the one I need to record from has NO firewire port at all. :thumbsup:

#5 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

well most of the ones that have firewire also have usb, it would actually work, because at work you would just be copying the files, which will take a while, but be possible. at home you would be editing, and be able to use the firewire port, making it easier

with my old external drive whenever i tried to edit video on it via usb, i would have issues playing and editing raw video (very large filesizes), it just wasnt fast enough, so i ended up copying the data from the external, to my internal, editing, and then copying the saved data back, a pain in my rear

where you would be recording from the work pc, you may just want to check the speed, make sure that you would be able to record to the external directly, as oppsed to saving to internal and then copying, if your not dealing with full raw video this may not make a difference,

and heck, it may not either way anyway
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Well...I would just use the USB enclosure only when I had to, since I feel that a USB hard drive multiplies the potential for hard drive issues, just by virtue of adding PS connection, USB connection, and the enclosure itself.

I would connect the drive directly to my home system (whether PATA ior SATA) for rendering anything, which would eliminate any USB issues and external connection issues.

It goes into the enclosure for use at work, it easily can be removed from the enclosure at home.

Such would not stress anything.

I have 3 500GB hard drives but I would not attach a large hard drive in a USB enclosure...I feel that I get better value by attaching those directly to the motherboard, where the speed is not negated somewhat by the USB bus.

Just a personal approach :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users