Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freshly installing Windows

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:19 PM

So its come to that, lets say. What exactly do you do? :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:57 AM

Do you have any restore disks that would be the simple way.......?

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:33 AM

I make sure I have my firewall, av, winpatrol, regprot, and a few other goodies burnt to cd. (bookmarks, etc)

Then I disconnect from the net...

I have a wiping utility that wipes the disk clean..period.

Repartition, reformat, reinstall.

Install all my protection software. Set a restore point.

Reconnect to the net, get all critical updates.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

Hey groov cant you add your already downloaded critical updates to a cd so you wont have to re-download them? Brunt said you could while he was still here? Id really like to do that for mine.....

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:26 PM

That's possoble to do it that way, but on a dial-up it could take hours. If you put on some simple prtections, then you shouldn't have any reason to worry. You just can't start surfing indescriminately until everything is updated.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:07 PM

So my I cant just add them to a cd even though I have already downloaded them? They aint in a folder on my pc somewhere inthe i386 folder? Or would I have to make a folder redownload them all then add them to a cd? Just wondering becuause Im about to formatt this thing its sooo slow....

#7 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

:thumbsup: Is there any way to see if my disk is already partitioned? Just wonder if it came that way from the manufacturer.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:42 PM

It has to have a partition, even if the entire disk is a primary partition. And that is about the best I can explain it.. :thumbsup:

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

Yes, pondering. There are a couple ways:
  • My Computer...simply see if you have more disks listed than the actual number of HDD's you have installed. For instance, if you have 1 hard disk drive mounted in your machine, but have at My Computer both a C:\ and D:\ drive listed under Hard Disk Drives, then it means that one drive has two partitions
  • For fullest details: I navigate... Control Panel>Performanance & Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management (look left at the "tree")>Storage>Disk Management
Here is where you can view the drive(s) and do some modification, depending on other factors.

Raw is right ("natch!) in that a partition must exist. I mean you can view details of it in the way I descibed (if you have winxp & possibly you need admin "priviledges at that...) or simply confirm that there is only one partition by seeing the My Computer List.

BTW, they is probably another way to get to: Disk Management... knowing winxp...I just don't know it off-hand. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 25 August 2004 - 05:50 PM.

#10 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:51 PM

THX..................but it's still clear as mud :flowers: . Would my computer say C..drive, D..drive etc? This is hysterical because I replaced my HD in my other computer and partitioned it. I stuck in a cd and followed the prompts. Got no clue what I did ...but the computer worked fine. :thumbsup:

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:57 PM

Mud clearly, huh? :thumbsup: What OS do you have? ME, winxp home or pro?

#12 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

phawgg..... actually the mud has cleared, thanks to you. :flowers: I posted before I saw your reply...got distracted around here and forgot to"send". :thumbsup: I have XP..the computer I replaced the HD is a ME.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:04 PM

I'm glad clarity has to a degree has replaced the questions for you. We both know there is crowd of new questions that will no doubt enter in again like pouring half & half into the cup with a few tsps. of raw brown sugar. Keep smilin' :flowers:

Being no expert has definate disadvantages for me. I am getting more familiar with xp pro, and previously some with win98, but if you had something else, my confidence in offering advice would be tenuous at best. :thumbsup: Keep askin' though... some good is bound to come of it!

Edit: I found the other way, from a post here:

"you go into your device manager. right click my computer.manage..left click disk management."

Edited by phawgg, 25 August 2004 - 07:59 PM.

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:20 PM

hmmm, now if we could just get back on topic.

You've reloaded your operating system again. What precautions did you take before you did? Things to keep in mind during and immediatley after ... and is there anything else you can think of that would keep your software Happy Together?

I make sure I have my firewall, av, winpatrol, regprot, and a few other goodies burnt to cd. (bookmarks, etc)

winpatrol?
regprot?

goodies sorta are self explanatory. :flowers:

Do you simply "copy file" the Favorites in Documents & Settings (IE)?

Is there an easy way to copy Bookmarks in Firefox?

How 'bout Passwords... not only would it be nice to know how to copy file them, but for that matter, if I have been saving them per popup requests in a variety of browsers...where are those files? Are they so secret I can't get them off my own PC? :trumpet: (I hear "don't keep them on your PC 'cause somebody might get 'em" What about when that someone is me?)

:thumbsup:

#15 Undertaker

Undertaker

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:50 PM

I hope you guys/girls are still looking at this thread. I'm afraid my kids computer is lost. (Too much Kazzaa, and me fooling around and deleting stuff without knowing what I was doing). I want to reload Windows XP home edition. I have the operating system on a disk, but last time I tried this I ended up with two operating systems (both Windows XP) on the hard drive. Boy I'm not good at this stuff. Soooo.... what is the right way to do this? I do not have a system restore disk. I want to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. Please help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users