Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sites needing my email address and password.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inked_Chick

Inked_Chick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

So my niece gave out her email address and email password...well msn but they are the one and the same for her. She said her friend sent her the link on msn but she doesnt think thats the case anymore (coz it just popped up). She said nothing downloaded but could this be a virus or just a spam scam? Because all her contacts are getting weird offline links from her account. I've already done the HJT but this is really bugging me and I want to get to the bottom of this. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

One may need to supply an email address to some sites/businesses when registering.
I suggest using a disposable addy as with gmail.

under no circumstance give out a password!

Read a bit more here how to be safe.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

Your niece should change her MSN password ASAP.

Edited by KoanYorel, 24 April 2009 - 11:25 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Inked_Chick

Inked_Chick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

I did tell her about all that security stuff but seeing as this was her "friend" she didnt bother with the safety. Well I changed her password and it was happening so I closed that account uninstalled msn made her a new account and reinstalled msn. Dunno if it still happening since she now only has 2 contacts. I could bloody kill her for stressing me out like this. Freakin kids.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

In all probability it was not the friend that sent the email, but that the 'friends' system was/is compromised and another is doing such.

Both might go here and follow our directions to clean their systems?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Inked_Chick

Inked_Chick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for that but I've already done it. Waiting on a reply. But after she told all that happened, I kinda thought that it might be a spam scam or something since everything else seems to be running as normal as ever. I just wanted to know if that was possible. I'll be patient though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users