Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not delete Zone Alarm file

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 barnaclebill

barnaclebill

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hello,

I decided to try the Comodo firewall and I like it.

I am now trying to remove all the Zone Alarm files from this computer and I got all of them out except one.

In my Program Files there is a folder ZoneAlarmSB, when I open it there is a folder named "bar", when that is opened I get another folder "1.bin", when that one is opened I see a file called SPYBLOCK.DLL

When I try to delete it, a message comes up: SPYBLOCK: ACCESS DENIED Make sure the disc is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

It is probably not a big deal, but I am trying to learn all I can about this computer.

Thank you for any help.

Edited by barnaclebill, 24 April 2009 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

At one time, Zone Alarm Spyblocker-it you chose to install it-also came with the ask.com toolbar if you did not specify don't install it. I don't know if this is still the case. However, you can check for it. In an empty space in at the top of the page, just under the address bar, RIGHT click. Do you see ask.com listed? If so, is it checked and if it is, uncheck it.

Then go to Add Remove programs, look for ask.com or anything associated with it. If it's there, uninstall it.
After the uninstall, see if the folder can be deleted. Also look for Spyblocker, if there uninstall.

If you don't see anything related to ask.com, boot into safe mode, and try to delete the file.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 April 2009 - 10:24 AM.

#3 barnaclebill

barnaclebill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the quick reply,Queen-Evie.

There was a Spyblocker toolbar unchecked.

I found it in add-remove programs and removed it and restarted the computer.

The Zone Alarm folder in program files was replaced with one called Uninstall spy blocker.dll

The toolbar is gone but I can't delete the uninstall file.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Try from safe mode.
I forgot to include this link in my other post, just in case you need instructions on
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

#5 barnaclebill

barnaclebill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

Thanks again,

It worked in safe mode.

I really appreciate what I have been learning from this site, thanks.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

I am glad it worked for you. Congratulations on learning how to do something new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users