Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access specific Web site

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 booky56

booky56

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

Short version: I am suddenly unable to connect to one and apparently only one (pay) Web site; instead I get a "cannot connect" page (the one that suggests the site may be down, my firewall may be wonky, etc.).

Possibly relevant facts: I'm running XP home edition and use the Windows firewall.

I get basically the same message whether I use Mozilla Firefox or IE. (Still, I checked the privacy/security settings for Mozilla; the site isn't on the restricted list, and I added it to the "always allow" list, but no change).

The site is operational. I can reach it and log on from my work computer.

I cleared my cache.

I tried going to an earlier reset point, to no avail.

I looked in my Hosts file to ensure the site wasn't there it wasn't. I also uninstalled--using revo uninstaller--spybot just to be sure (I thought an immunization might have been the problem).

I had been using AVG 7.5. antivirus. They made me upgrapde to 8.5, which was sloooow (others had the same problem)--and the problem started around then, so I thought it might be related (yeah, I know correlation doesn't prove causality). I tried uninstalling--using revo--and switching to Avira; no change; I then uninstalled Avira and installed Avast; no change. (Avast has something it claims to be "like a firewall" but that will pose no interactivity worries).

I changed my TCP/IP options from automatically looking up IP addy and DNS, using the values returned by the ipconfig /all command. Nothing.

I'm fairly ignorant about this stuff, so I'm totally out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

In my limited experience...inability to connect to a given website, as opposed to general connectivity issues...is either a website-specific problem or due to corrupt cookies for that site on my system.

"Corrupt" is computer lingo for damaged and files get damaged all the time, from varying causes.

Louis

#3 booky56

booky56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

In my limited experience...inability to connect to a given website, as opposed to general connectivity issues...is either a website-specific problem or due to corrupt cookies for that site on my system.

"Corrupt" is computer lingo for damaged and files get damaged all the time, from varying causes.

Louis

Thanks for the feedback.

It's definitely not the site, since I've no trouble with it on my work computer and other users of it have no problems.

I routinely delete cookies--or at least I think I do (Firefox is set to do that on logout). The only place I know to look for them is Tools-Privacy-Options-Show cookies. Is there somewhere I might find (and remove) them?

Thanks again. I do hope I'm not asking something covered extensively elsewhere on this forum/site.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

With IE open, Tools\Internet Options...General tab.

Browsing history.

You can also just go to your Docs & Settings and delete the entire Cookies folder for your username.

Louis

#5 booky56

booky56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

With IE open, Tools\Internet Options...General tab.

Browsing history.

You can also just go to your Docs & Settings and delete the entire Cookies folder for your username.

Louis

Yeah, thanks. I already routinely clear cookies, usually from the control panel-Internet options, which appears to get me to the same window menu as going through IE--which I never, ever use--via tools. Just to be anal, I also clear cookies via Mozilla (which I do use), so that's not the problem.

I guess I should clarify; I'm not entirely ignorant, just largely so--especially compared to anyone who deals with this stuff on any sort of professional level. I couldn't interpret a HiJackThis log if my life depended on it, but I think I covered the more obvious reasons for the problem. The specificity is really puzzling me, but it absolutely, positively is not a problem with the site itself. The weirdest thing is that I can't even get to the logon page. I'm inclined to think it's a firewall problem (again, the culprit would have to be the Windows firewall). Is there perhaps a way to find a log of firewall activity and, if that's the problem, to figure out why it's not letting me connect to the page?

#6 booky56

booky56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Seriously--nobody's got anything?

To be honest, it's an adult personals site, so I'm kinda reluctant to take to a service and state the problem.

But, as I said, I've done all the obvious things, a few (to me) not so obvious, and one stupid thing (removing all antivirus, spy- and malware programs and shutting off my firewall to see whether that let me get to the site--it didn't).

I also contacted the site itself just to ensure they weren't blocking my computer's address. And as far as I can tell (not very far), I don't have any proxy action going on.

It's just this one stinking site . . . but I've made friends on it, so I really would like to be able to access it.

So, this is just me signaling desperation.

#7 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

i may have overlooked it but have you tried pinging the website......we could see if the physical connectivity is there......just from reading the posts it sure sounds like a personal firewall is causing this (not windows firewall) but you could easily tell by going to a different adult site......most personal firewalls will block by association so even though the site may not show nudity it would still fall into the category......by testing 2 different browsers that almost eliminates a browser issue.....when you were "testing" on your work pc were you doing so on the same network.....this could rule out something on the network blocking the site.....can you reply with the url of the website......pm me with it if you want.....that was a good idea checking the hosts file.....i'll see what else i can come up with
Posted Image

#8 booky56

booky56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

i may have overlooked it but have you tried pinging the website......we could see if the physical connectivity is there......just from reading the posts it sure sounds like a personal firewall is causing this (not windows firewall) but you could easily tell by going to a different adult site......most personal firewalls will block by association so even though the site may not show nudity it would still fall into the category......by testing 2 different browsers that almost eliminates a browser issue.....when you were "testing" on your work pc were you doing so on the same network.....this could rule out something on the network blocking the site.....can you reply with the url of the website......pm me with it if you want.....that was a good idea checking the hosts file.....i'll see what else i can come up with

Thanks for the response!

My work computer is most definitely not on the same network as my home computer, so I'm not sure I've ruled that out, though I doubt the network is blocking the site (which, btw, is adultfriendfinder.com--fairly vanilla as these things go, but still not appropriate for the workplace).

So, I tried pinging the site, and that may well indicate a problem: it listed the IP as 127.0.0.1, which, if I understand this correctly, is me. My ping went nowhere, yes?

I, too, thought firewall; in fact, I was pretty sure that was the problem. But no, it's just this one site and no others that gives me the problem. At one point I threw caution to the wind, removed my antivirus programs and turned off Windows firewall and tried to get to the site, but I got the same result.

Times like these, I wish I had studied CS instead of philosophy . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users