Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring missing system files?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 knightb4_uk

knightb4_uk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:43 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2450-101 laptop with preinstalled Windows XP Home Edition OS.

Unfortunately, although it is a fast computer, I can only connect to internet by 56k dial-up connection because of the lack of telecom facilities locally.

Recently my computer was affected by a virus which deleted two system files ... (Bios?)Startup.exe and Command.com. I do not have a Windows XP Home Edition CD as the computer was supplied with a "recovery disk" only.

As a result, my computer now is very, very, slow with connectivity of only 37 kb/s.
My dial-up properties show that the packet scheduler is missing also, probably giving me slow connection speeds.

Can anyone advise me how to properly restore the missing files and put right these errors and omissions?

Thank you in advance.
Douglas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:44 PM

Hello knightb4_uk and welcome to BC.

Try using the procedure in Description and Explanation of a Cabinet File to extract these files from your Recovery CD.

Edited by Leurgy, 21 June 2005 - 12:44 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users