Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you choose security software?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:34 AM

How do you decide which software fits you best?

I see a lot of threads with questions like "What is the best antivirus/firewall etc...", so, perhaps, people believe other people (especially if the answering user is a site moderator or has many messages or something like that).

What else do you take into consideration?

Do you read review sites, for example, like this one? Do you believe them or do you think they are all paid promotion?

Do you look around security blogs?

Do you look at the tests? (And do you believe they give any useful information)?

It seems for me that the best security software is the best promoted security software these days, because most of people can't judje about real quality of it's work, until they are security experts or hackers. Am i wrong, how do you think?

Just wondering...

Edited by Konstantin, 24 April 2009 - 02:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gr277

gr277

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

This is quite a difficult decision to have to make.

Personally, I do not trust reviews published by the software vendors, reviewing their own software..... :flowers:
Although I read "independent" reviews, I always take them with a pinch of salt, as I don't know how independent they really are!!... :trumpet: (I am rather sceptical!)

I always tend to make my final decision on the basis of information/data provided by a few people I have come to "know" and respect, posting on a couple of good forums, where I am a member.... :thumbsup: :inlove:
Basil
Καλημέρα φίλοι

Posted Image

#3 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Try it on your own computer. :thumbsup:

I always tend to make my final decision on the basis of information/data provided by a few people I have come to "know" and respect, posting on a couple of good forums, where I am a member.... :flowers: :trumpet:

Agreed.

I would be very cautious of review sites like the one you linked to, according to AV-Comparatives they use an affiliate system where the more revenue they get the higher they rate the product, in other words it is paid promotion.

There aren't really a lot of reputable and useful (e.g. VB certification using the Wildlist which is outdated) testing sites, for AVs there's AV-Comparatives and AV-Test and Remove-Malware tests various apps. Matousec for example is quite misleading, it claims to be a firewall test when it is mostly testing the HIPS capabilities.

Edited by Someones, 24 April 2009 - 07:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users