Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL icons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

yes yes we (my parents) are still on AOL and we are still on dial-up...

when im on aol and i move the mouse cursor over the icons on top/toolbar (like Write, IM, People, etc) instead of changing from an arrow to a hand/finger pointing, it just becomes a black square box. and the wierd thing about this is that when i log off as admin from windows xp and sign on as a diff user, aol works just fine. any thoughts on this?

its not really that important but just kinda annoying...i've uninstalled and reinstalled AOL 9.0 SE and its still doing the same thing....

Edited by splackavellie, 20 June 2005 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:04 AM

your curser may have been changed open control panel then switch to clasic view then lick mouse then pointers look at what curser is selected for link select

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

the link select cursor is fine....its only messed up with aol buttons/links...when im surfing the web and everything, it works fine...

#4 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

the wierd part is that if i turn off my computer then turn it back it, it works fine the first time i go to aol. but after i close aol and open it back up again, the black box show up instead of the link select cursor....the cursor works when i use firefox and IE, just the sign on, and other buttons of aol that gives me problems

#5 DavidGL17

DavidGL17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

Anyone find a resolution to this icon problem with AOL 9.0 SE???? I am having the same issue on a Dell desktop and Dell laptop one running Win 2000 and the other XP Pro.. Thanks...

#6 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:39 PM

did you just install SE on yours? does yours also works fine the first time you turn you comp on or when you log on xp as diff user? mine is only messed up for the admin on xp, but the guest is fine.

#7 DavidGL17

DavidGL17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:17 PM

Hey, I have this problem no matter what I am logged in as on XP.. I also have this problem on a desktop running Windows 2000. My laptop runs Windows XP Professional. Both are Dell systems.. It has occured immediately after I upgraded to AOL 9.0 SE... I have another Dell PC on XP Home and I have no problem.. Live Help at AOL told me to reduce the Hardware accelerations in the Display properites ( found under START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL and in the Display properties in the Settings tab click on Advanced and the Troubleshooting.. It didn't work on either system I am having problems with.. My next step time permitting is to call AOL Tech Support... This is very baffling.. Like you stated, useable but annoying for sure!!!!!!!!!!

#8 mperlich

mperlich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

I just wanted to add myself as one who has encountered the same problem. Was wondering if a solution was found. This just started when I loaded AOL 9.0SE on a networked Dell Optiplex here at work. One of the odder things seen lately. Thank you.

#9 judgelrg

judgelrg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:21 PM

I am another with the same black box cursor while on aol. Any help is appreciated. It is annoying.

#10 Flickwatcher

Flickwatcher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

I better hurry with this reply before there is another power failure due to the heat. I lost my previous text before I could post it. Anyway, I get those black boxes over my AOL icons too. It happens after a few minutes online. Also, I see traces of one window mixed with another window, a black background and where the advertisements should be are now replaced with a black and purple scratchy mess. On top of all this, when I scroll down, the text bleeds into many straight vertical lines. Sorry, I'm not drunk! :thumbsup:
I have AOL 9.0 on top of my Comcast cable and I've had no problem until now. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled AOL 9.0 and used two different spyware removers. Sometimes when I switch over to my cable the craziness follows onto the Comcast screen. When I bring up the main screen of Norton Systemworks, the same thing happens. The solution is to reboot or not use AOL anymore.
The only download I've done was a Windows Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235). I don't remember when this update was posted, but I'm wondering, has everyone had done the same thing or am I leading myself in the wrong direction by believing this download was the cause of all this madness?

Edited by Flickwatcher, 19 July 2005 - 09:42 PM.

#11 DavidGL17

DavidGL17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

Flick, I have not applied Microsoft update KB903235 and I am still experiencing the Black Box issue.. Still cannot figure this out but I still have yet to call AOL Tech support on the phone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users