Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enable motherboard to see os

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hello, I recently replaced a fried mobo in my desktop with a new one but It does not see my existing o.s. I know it needs the drivers to work but no os no can install drivers. Is there a workaround for this on do I just have to reinstall my xp os? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

If the motherboar isn't recocnizing the hard drive, meaning you get nothing as far as the OS is concerned, you need to check in the BIOS to make sure it is set properly for the hard drive.
Also check that the hard drive is connected properly.
Even with a new motherboard the OS should at least try to start , you should at least see something !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

As fairjoeblue says, is the hard drive recognized correctly in the BIOS and set appropriately as the boot device?

If so, you probably will need to boot from the XP CD and do a Repair inatallation to enable Windows to boot with the new motherboard hardware. Then you can install the motherboard drivers and go from there.

If a repair install fails, you would need to re-install the OS from scratch.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users