Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gtoman

gtoman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

I get an email msg from About.com and when i click on a link it won't open. this also happens at other websites. i tried holding the Ctrl key and also the Shift key while pressing the enter key and nothing happens. I'm running XP Home and I have Comcast.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks,Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:37 PM

1. This can be an ad blocking program trying to prevent the button from being clicked because it thinks its an add. Its often included in the norton antivirus packages...mcafee to. Try disabling antivirus then going to the page and clicking a link.

2. This can be just a temporary error from your e-mail servie provider......try back later.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:58 AM

Clicking links in email addresses is a security risk as you may be being spoofed. Highlighting the link then copying and pasting it into your browser address bar is a lot safer.

I would NOT recommend you disable your anti-virus program while online.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:04 AM

I didnt mean while online, i meant temporarily to see if the link was indeed a precaution his antivirus took.

and how would pasting the link be safer than clicking it.....they all lead to the same place.

Edited by Techsomething, 21 June 2005 - 01:05 AM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

they all lead to the same place.

Not necessarily - what the link looks like and what it actually is can be two different things. If you're pasting the text rather than copying the link, you might go to a different place.

If you don't believe me, check out this link (it's safe):

http://www.girlsgirlsgirls.com

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

they all lead to the same place.

Not necessarily - what the link looks like and what it actually is can be two different things. If you're pasting the text rather than copying the link, you might go to a different place.

If you don't believe me, check out this link (it's safe):

http://www.girlsgirlsgirls.com

Hey wheres the girls? That link just led me to some computer oriented site with a bunch of computer geeks! ;)

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

What he is showing you is that links may be spoofed.
Even typed in addresses can be as well.

Firefox has an extention named Spoofstick that will show you (in the toolbar) the real address of the website you are actually connected to (to verify it is really the one you have in the address bar).

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 June 2005 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users