Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud Aftermath

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Longfellow

Longfellow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

I have recently used McAfee Anti-Spyware and/or Anti-Virus while assited by a McAfee technician in order to remove Smitfraud. I scan performed while in safe mode was succesful in removing the altered background with the fatl error message and allowed me to set my home page again in my IE browser.

Unfortunately, after the above, I continued to have the dreaded "red circle with the white X (don't know how else to refer to it)" indicating that my computer is infected. Since, I have updated my McAfee tools and rescanned to no avail. I have also dowloaded and installed Ad-Aware and SpyBot with the help of this site but the infection symbol (how about this term for it?) remains.

I have stopped short of using Hijackthis because of the distinct warning. I am not familiar with the inner workings of any software and probably just know enough to follow directions without drooling. I would greatly appreciate some guidance regarding what my next step should be.

My computer uses a Windows XP Home Edition Operating System. I currently have no evident symptoms of infection other than perhaps a certain delay in the startup of some applications and internet related programs. I do however, still have the "Infection Symbol" on the Task Bar.

Longfellow

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

I would suggest you submit a Hijack This log to the forum here at BC, where expert volunteers will assess the Log and guide you step by step through cleaning your machine of malware.
Please read the pinned posts 'How to use this Forum' and 'How to post a HiJack This log' at the top of the forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

Edited by Rimmer, 21 June 2005 - 12:23 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users