Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gaps on music CDs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnFarris

JohnFarris

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Often with classical music you don't want a gap at all between certain tracks and regular gaps between others. Windows Media Player and iTunes offer the option of different size gaps, including zero, but (1) the choice applies to the entire disc, and (2) there's no gapif you specify zeel, but there is a little hiccoup at the point where the next track begins. I would think there are ways to deal with this, but I haven't found them. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

You can edit the individual tracks with Audacity.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

CDs weren't really designed with this in mind. You can try using Audacity as suggested - to maximise the possiblity of success it's best to pre-process each track to remove DC offset, and truncate the first file where you want it to finish at a zero-crossing point. Do the same for the second file but ensure its starting point is also on a zero-crossing point. This minimizes the discontinuity that can cause the little aberration during replay, but how successful this is will vary from player to player. You'll have to burn the disk Track-at-Once rather then Disc-at-Once for this to work, but it isn't satisfactory for all players, and considering the amount of fiddling around, probably isn't worth it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

I burn gapless cd's all the time. They play fine on everything except some old CD/DVD players.
There should be a checkbox to use Disc at Once. (DAO) and the option to make album gapless.
There should be no gaps, or clicks between songs.

In iTunes, highlight all songs in your album, (compilation) click command I (Mac) or ctr I (win) at the bottom right you will see the option to make album gapless.

"Burrrrn" is free and will burn DAO.

Edited by 12x48y, 24 April 2009 - 05:53 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

That's handy to know. Since it makes the entire album gapless, John could add the required silence to any tracks where he did want a gap. And if he finds he does still get any glitches as he indicates, trimming to the zero-crossings may cure it, or minimize it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

It would make the entire album gapless. he could use audacity for adding 2 seconds of silence. I wonder if he could highlight only certain songs in iTunes instead of the entire album? I'm reaching now, but it might be worth a try.

Edited by 12x48y, 24 April 2009 - 06:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users