Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davischris

davischris

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hi
Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.. Have a weird problem. Grandma's computer, worked fine 2 years.. She said something with norton corrupted.. Lost connection.
Message on the LAN card says "Limited or no connectivity"

Can't ping. Can ping 127.0.0.1. Verified modem at house. Qwest DSL wireless modem. Connected with my laptop and put in the wireless code and it connected fine. Had another Laptop, connected to ethernet cable connects fine...

I take her computer to my house.. Didn't connect.. Did the winsocxp fix and then it started browsing....
Wanted to do a virus scan and such, installed spybot and malware's malbye program that this site recommends.. Downloaded and wouldn't install..

Removed Norton totally.. Did the "norton removal tool. The computer runs fine at my house.. Connects right up.

I take it to her house and it won't connect.. Her computer works perfect at my house... Turned firewall off.. Same result...
I can browse with my laptops on her DSL modem, so don't think there'a point to call Qwest..

Something in her computer is blocking her DSL service, it works at my house....
ANy ideas anybody.

THings I did.. Uninstalled Norton... Defragged.. Cleaned Temp inte files.. Scanned and Malware found 2 problems fixed...
It boots up really quick and can install any program quickly and can browse on my connection at my house, but not at her house??

Stumped..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Have you tried rebooting the modem? Turn off the computer reboot the modem and the router (if there not integrated). If there not integrated wait for the online light to light steady then turn on the router wait for the online light to light steady then turn on the laptop. If there integrated reboot the modem/router and wait for all greens then turn on the laptop. If this doesn't work try resetting the security settings and assigning a new WPA-PSK key (if your using WEP just be warned its extremely easy to crack).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 davischris

davischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Sneakycyber
Yeah, I've rebooted it a few times, the 2wire DSL modem, by just powercycling it...I am just plugging directly into the modem, although it has 5 ports on it, so it might be a router also....
Do you know where to put in a new WPA-PSK key.. But the thing is I can plug into that modem with other computers and they browse fine..

It's something in her specific computer hosed up.. assigning a new WPA-PSK key, does that affect when you plug into the ethernet cable or is that just for wireless???
Because I'm not trying to browse with wireless.. I want to get it browsing with the ethernet cord first, then do wireless, does that sound logical?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

Yes that sounds logical that's what I would recommend as well. If you are plugging directly into the modem then the Wireless security has no effect on the connection. Does the laptop have any software firewall installed?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 davischris

davischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

nope
no firewall on the laptop.. Maybe I'll call qwest and see if there's something in the modem that is bad to this particular computer....maybe reinstall the quest CD and reset the modem, .. But again you'd think if there was a problem with qwest the other computers wouldn't work at all..
Argh..

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

There may be other solutions they can try post back and let us know how it turns out.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users