Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp... Explorer Crash

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeverall

jeverall

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:43 PM

Hi.. this is my first post, and its not even one of my problems!! :thumbsup:
anyway, my girlfriends brother has a computer with XP on.
Its pretty brand new and normally never has any problems with it.
However, just recently he keeps getting an error message on his computer
saying the explorer has caused and error and then it closes. But after that you can't do anything with the computer!! can't open any program or even my computer! (speaking of which the My Computer icon has disappeared!!)
I had a similar problem a while ago with my computer and ended up having to format it and start fresh! I was just wondering it there another way around it without formatting and losing all the files and stuff on the computer??
Many thanks.

Jim (Don't work too hard!) :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:35 PM

chances are theres one of these problems:

1. A virus is preventing explorer from launching just to annoy you, as is the key to many viruses. Try booting in safe mode (reboot the computer and repeatedly press f8 then select boot in safe mode on the menu that appears) and scanning with a reputable antivirus (mcafee, norton, zone alarm)

2. Maybe there are some corrupt system files, you can run the windows xp repair utility from the windows xp boot disk. Its just like formatting except you hit repair instead of format, and windows will overwrite any corrupt files.

3. Theres some application on startup that conflicts with the explorer causing it to crash. The only things you really need starting up are your antivirus and or firewall. Try booting in safe mode and removing some things from starting up (click start>>>click run>>type msconfig in the box>>click the startup tab>>uncheck anything necessary>>click ok>>reboot in normal mode.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

3. Theres some application on startup that conflicts with the explorer causing it to crash. The only things you really need starting up are your antivirus and or firewall. Try booting in safe mode and removing some things from starting up (click start>>>click run>>type msconfig in the box>>click the startup tab>>uncheck anything necessary>>click ok>>reboot in normal mode.

Hi jeverall
Before you go and remove anything from startup. I'd advise you to check the startup entries against:

Bleeping Computer's Startup Database
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users